Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Mashers


JoNorvelleWalker
 Share

Recommended Posts

Jo, you are one person I'd not like to get into a pot war with.

 

My pot is very modest. Two- or three-potato size.

 

I do have one I can stand in but that is kept in the garage of my former mother-in-law. We use it for tomato sauce season.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Jo, you are one person I'd not like to get into a pot war with.

 

My pot is very modest. Two- or three-potato size.

 

I do have one I can stand in but that is kept in the garage of my former mother-in-law. We use it for tomato sauce season.

 

I have a stockpot I could stand in.  The question remains, how do you mash a potato in a pot using a fork when the fork does not fit in the pot?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jo I'll post an instructional video when next I make mash. Which is not all that often but I might have been provoked into action.

 

I also have a ricer. I use it when making mash for such things as potato and cod balls. Also not often I do Richard Cornish's wonderful recipe for Irish Eggs -- quail eggs encased in mash, breaded and fried. Delicious.

 

But I stand by my fork and my pot!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Might be fine for a chef reaching for another star but for a home cook? I suggest he or she ought to be committed. 

 

Anna, I posses hundreds of cookbooks and a poor memory for names and titles.  Fortunately a fair memory for hot babes.  And it was a slow night.  The mystery chinois mashed potato chef is Kristen Kish.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristen_Kish

 

 

I recommend her book.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Jo I'll post an instructional video when next I make mash. Which is not all that often but I might have been provoked into action.

 

I also have a ricer. I use it when making mash for such things as potato and cod balls. Also not often I do Richard Cornish's wonderful recipe for Irish Eggs -- quail eggs encased in mash, breaded and fried. Delicious.

 

But I stand by my fork and my pot!

 

Almost as good as in.

 

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Anna, I posses hundreds of cookbooks and a poor memory for names and titles.  Fortunately a fair memory for hot babes.  And it was a slow night.  The mystery chinois mashed potato chef is Kristen Kish.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristen_Kish

 

 

I recommend her book.

 

Awfully glad you were able to tweak your memory. I am not familiar with this chef. I could never get into those cooking contest shows. 

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tonight I took an informal poll among my colleagues:  one uses an immersion blender, one said a fork*.  Another uses a ricer or an S shaped masher.  The fourth turned out to be Irish and an aficionado of Kristen Kish.

 

 

*though I suspect his response was less verity and more a cheap opportunity to mess with me and my potatoes.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dscheidt said:

I can't be the only one who uses a whisk? A nice heavy ballon whisk, like you'd use for whipping up some cream. 

I've retained an oversized balloon whisk from my restaurant days for that express purpose, but only prepare them in that kind of quantity once every couple of years. It works pretty well.

Most recently I used it to mash the chokecherries for our current batch of chokecherry wine.

  • Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose it will strike some people as gauche, but I have been known to mash my potatoes with my dinner fork right on my dinner plate. I incorporate some butter and gravy if it’s available.  One can also quickly transform plain old mashed potatoes into colcannon if there happens to be a little cabbage on the plate. Come to think of it the possibilities seem endless. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I suppose it will strike some people as gauche, but I have been known to mash my potatoes with my dinner fork right on my dinner plate. I incorporate some butter and gravy if it’s available.  One can also quickly transform plain old mashed potatoes into colcannon if there happens to be a little cabbage on the plate. Come to think of it the possibilities seem endless. 

 

Absolutely. Some serious over thinking going on here. There's champ. too!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2021 at 6:13 PM, btbyrd said:

These were made by the now defunct Foley corporation of Minneapolis Minnesota.

 

I couldn't resist...

 

IMG_5650.thumb.jpeg.9fa874a8130815ec59beeece3a4adfcb.jpeg

 

IMG_5651.thumb.jpeg.e68a8ff4ea4fa2d197c27c74c17fdc73.jpeg

 

Great price. Arrived today and it's in much better condition that I hoped for!

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

 

Also best tool so far for opening my salt shaker.  A true mulitasker.

 

 

LOL Who knew?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Masher12122021.jpg

 

$9.95 plus tax and shipping.  It works.  Also best tool so far for opening my salt shaker.  A true mulitasker.

 

 

That's the type of potato masher that I grew up with. It wasn't as pretty as that but my mother sure made good mashed potatoes. I haven't been able to find one like that for years.

I'm glad you found your new potato masher. Maybe not state-of-the-art but sometimes old style is the best.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had never heard of a Foley potato masher, nor seen such a strange "fork" until this topic. Two days ago I was visiting friends...and spotted this in their drawer!

 

20211212_105520.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I had never heard of a Foley potato masher, nor seen such a strange "fork" until this topic. Two days ago I was visiting friends...and spotted this in their drawer!

Did you grab it? Did you explain what it was? Or perhaps they knew what it was. I must tell you that if I was still mashing potatoes for more than one person I would be anxiously looking for one of those. There’s nothing nicer than a ricer but it’s a bitch to clean and store. A quick rinse under the tap and that fork is ready to be dried and put away.  

  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...