• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Mashers

JoNorvelleWalker

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Did you grab it? Did you explain what it was? Or perhaps they knew what it was. I must tell you that if I was still mashing potatoes for more than one person I would be anxiously looking for one of those. There’s nothing nicer than a ricer but it’s a bitch to clean and store. A quick rinse under the tap and that fork is ready to be dried and put away.  

The daughter knew what it was and claimed it had been there all along. The mother denied knowledge of it and claimed the daughter must have brought it with her when she moved in! No, I didn't try to make off with it, since the daughter uses it. :)

• Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 minutes ago, gfweb said:

That foley looks like it would be more ergonomic if the handle was at a right angle.

But that would totally alter the technique wouldn’t it? You would now be pounding rather than whipping as it were.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The angle of the "bowl" of the fork makes mashing easier than you might expect by looking at pictures. I use it more as a masher than a whipper (at least with potatoes). Really it's more of a "mash then stir, mash then stir" sort of situation. I found an episode of The French Chef online where Julia uses the fork to mash potatoes, so you can sort of see the technique. It starts around 10:40 into The Potato Episode. Maybe I'll make a YouTube video one day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

The angle of the "bowl" of the fork makes mashing easier than you might expect by looking at pictures. I use it more as a masher than a whipper (at least with potatoes). Really it's more of a "mash then stir, mash then stir" sort of situation. I found an episode of The French Chef online where Julia uses the fork to mash potatoes, so you can sort of see the technique. It starts around 10:40 into The Potato Episode. Maybe I'll make a YouTube video one day.

One of the quintessential shows…… “the courage of one’s convictions”  (or lack thereof)

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

1 hour ago, BetD said:

One of the quintessential shows…… “the courage of one’s convictions”  (or lack thereof)

I watched her as a kid with no interest in cooking, but I loved how genuine she was. This show appeared to be a single take. Wow.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I watched her as a kid with no interest in cooking, but I loved how genuine she was. This show appeared to be a single take. Wow.

For someone whose day job was a spy, perhaps not terribly difficult.  Still I can't envision an omelet with thinking of Julia.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, btbyrd said:

The angle of the "bowl" of the fork makes mashing easier than you might expect by looking at pictures.

The video does a much better job of revealing the actual angle of the fork and its utilization than do the still photographs. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I found an episode of The French Chef online where Julia uses the fork to mash potatoes, so you can sort of see the technique. It starts around 10:40 into The Potato Episode. Maybe I'll make a YouTube video one day.

You could throw on a frock, speak with a high-pitched, funny sort of accent, and even pretend you're Julia!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 year later...