• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inclusions in couverture

tralfaz

I'm a chocolate hobbyist letting my mind wander.  I want to add some texture to a whipped meltaway center.  I'll probably try it tomorrow but I'm wondering how it might work or if there are any pitfalls.  Maybe crushed spun sugar or praline powder.  Maybe crushed crêpes dentelle or cereal, maybe crushed nuts.    I may try to roll the centers in the crunchy things or go simple and just fold them into the centers.  I'm hand dipping.

Anyone ever try using inclusions in a couverture?

Edited by tralfaz (log)

1 hour ago, tralfaz said:

I'm a chocolate hobbyist letting my mind wander.  I want to add some texture to a whipped meltaway center.  I'll probably try it tomorrow but I'm wondering how it might work or if there are any pitfalls.  Maybe crushed spun sugar or praline powder.  Maybe crushed crêpes dentelle or cereal, maybe crushed nuts.    I may try to roll the centers in the crunchy things or go simple and just fold them into the centers.  I'm hand dipping.

Anyone ever try using inclusions in a couverture?

You can add crunchy things to meltaway that has only fat and no liquid. 

Well I ended up folding spun sugar into the meltaway.  It felt a little like mixing glue and steel wool, but the final product works.  The texture is really nice, light foamy meltaway with a subtle tingling crunch.   Much more delicate than crushed candy/caramelized sugar.  I spooned out little lumps before it set, it really can't be piped.  It's very sweet, so it'll work best with a meltaway that isn't very sweet such as bittersweet.