• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction friendly sugar pot

Indirect Heat

My 15 year-old son has been making macarons since he was 12.  A year in, I bought him a nice antique copper sugar pot.  It's fascinating, because he's a better cook at 15 than I was at 25.

This summer, we upgraded to an induction cooktop, and it has been an absolute dream.  Truly fantastic hardware in every way we hoped.  However, my son misses working with the copper pot with the spout on it.  Does anyone know of an equivalent induction-compatible pot?  Just searching "Induction compatible sugar pot" still gives copper results, given how prevalent copper is in candy-making.  I've read about the induction adaptor discs, and they seem like not a great solution.

I'd like to get him a new pot for Christmas.  Recommendations?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Why not get a high power standalone non-induction hot plate dedicated for the copper pot separately?    That way he can use the pot he likes and stow the hot plate in between uses.

That's was kinda my first thought but the surface of every electric hot plate I've seen is made of exactly the kind of stuff you don't want in a candy pot, meaning they're usually a thick slab of something designed to retain heat and would prohibit one from making rapid adjustments, other than by removing the pan for a quick cool. 

Or were you thinking of a gas burner?  Many of the high power types I'm familiar with are outdoor-only.  Or is there a whole category of high power indoor gas burners that I've been oblivious to?

On 11/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, pastrygirl said:

I dont know, but I would make sure your induction burner can handle the high temps of candy making. Sometimes they automatically shut off above a certain temp. 

Though if it's just syrup for italian meringue that's only 250F.  I had an issue once making pate de fruits or caramel or something really hot and long-cooked.

How big is the copper pot?  I'm guessing the spout is an important feature?  Maybe something here:  https://www.magneticcooky.com/saucepans-with-pour-spout-induction-ready/

Edited by pastrygirl (log)