• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

14 hours ago, scott123 said:

I'm normally a Darwinist/survival of the fittest/the market forces will prevail kind of guy, so, in the past, when a restaurant would shut down, I'd be fairly optimistic that something comparable would pop up in it's place, but, this is different.

Thai egg rolls can frequently be on point, but, they're not the traditional filling that I grew up/search for. Personal preference might come into play here.  Chinese egg rolls these days tend to be fairly greasy- that's something that I look for :)

The other Chinese restaurant offering that I've searched far and wide for is Chicken and Broccoli (brown sauce) with soft/well cooked broccoli.  I've done back flips trying to get my local place to cook the broccoli sufficiently, and I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't possible. 

oh I absolutely agree. It’s impossible to find a good chicken or even beef and broccoli dish without almost raw broccoli. Makes me nuts.  What’s your local place? 
 While I enjoy raw broccoli in a crudités dish I do not in a cooked dish. 

I’ve never been an egg roll enthusiast, potstickers are more my thing. and most have extremely thick skins which is not ideal imo. 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

14 hours ago, scott123 said:

I'm normally a Darwinist/survival of the fittest/the market forces will prevail kind of guy, so, in the past, when a restaurant would shut down, I'd be fairly optimistic that something comparable would pop up in it's place, but, this is different.

Thai egg rolls can frequently be on point, but, they're not the traditional filling that I grew up/search for. Personal preference might come into play here.  Chinese egg rolls these days tend to be fairly greasy- that's something that I look for :)

The other Chinese restaurant offering that I've searched far and wide for is Chicken and Broccoli (brown sauce) with soft/well cooked broccoli.  I've done back flips trying to get my local place to cook the broccoli sufficiently, and I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't possible. 

oh I absolutely agree. It’s impossible to find a good chicken or eveb beef and broccoli dish without almost raw broccoli. Makes me nuts.  What’s your local place? 
 While I enjoy raw broccoli in a crudités dish I do not in a cooked dish.