• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1/3 mashed potatoes, 1/3 fat, 1/3 flour. What is this called?

WhiskerBiscuit

A long time ago a friend told me about this mashed potato-like dish.  And it had a French name.  He said it was heavenly.  I’ve been searching for it every now and then for the past few years, to no avail.  Then I just realized if anyone on the net knew what this was, it would be an e-gulleter.

No, I can’t contact the friend.  He’s kinda insane.

19 hours ago, WhiskerBiscuit said:

It’s been so long.  Maybe it was starch, fat, sugar? The holy trifecta.

How does that become a “mashed potato-like” dish?

Edited by Anna N
To add a question Mark. (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

How does that become a “mashed potato-like” dish?

Ah yes - missed the 'mashed potato-like' - perhaps truffade - some of those appear sort of half way between a pancake and aligot. 

On 11/19/2021 at 6:24 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Pommes Dauphine? 

This might be it!  It’s been so long since the crazy guy told me about it. All I can clearly remember is that everything sounded sinful about it.  Adding “fried” to the prep would certainly be a plus.