• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat-Free (?) Brownies

cteavin

I posted this on YouTube the other day and thought I'd post it here. Personally, when I make them for me I only use Erythritol (a sugar substitute) but depending on the friend sugar or a blend of the two. Unlike other zucchini brownies, these don't use egg white, so they're not cake-y, but dense and fudgy. 

Oh, and because I use whey protein, they're higher in protein and good for post-workout bite. 

Ingredients

• 300 -400 grams zucchini
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • 1-2 tablespoons flavoring (brandy, rum, vanilla, etc)
  • 2 shots of espresso (or instant, 60ml/2oz)
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup whey protein (or milk powder)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but adds nice flavor)
  •  

1. Mince the zucchini in the food processor with the salt.

2. Add the sugar or sugar substitute and process until the sugar is dissolved.

3. Bloom your cocoa: In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa with HOT espresso and your flavorings (including cinnamon). Stir until mostly dissolved.

4. To the food processor add the cocoa mixture and two egg yolks and blend together.

5. Add the whey protein or milk powder to the mixture and blend together.

6. Add the oatmeal and blend.

7. Add the flour and pulse to incorporate (in other words, try not to over mix).

8. Pour into a brownie pan and bake for 20-30 minutes at 180C/350F

Edited by cteavin (log)
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Thanks! How long can you keep them? Are they still good after 1 or 2 days? 
I only have a little experience with erythritol.

Actually, four or five days if they're wrapped. The oatmeal and zucchini hold the moisture in. :)

• Thanks 1