• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When is it okay to call a baked good "fat free"?

cteavin

I modified a recipe for Zucchini Brownies to suit my lifestyle and taste and posted a video online. Mine have no butter or oil or extra fat of any kind, so I made the the original title "fat-free zucchini brownies" and got into a couple of quibbles with commenters who pointed out that the cocoa and the yolk have fat. I have to admit, I did debate with myself over that same point before posting but felt my title was accurate. 

I'm curious what cooks and chefs think, so I thought I'd see if I could get a conversation going on truth in advertising, so to speak. 

It's not so much what "cooks and chefs think" that's important; it's what the law thinks and that is not universal. There are regulations most places, but they differ. What is permissible in one place is often not in another.

Truth in advertising? It'll never happen. All advertising is a trick to make you want something you don't need.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Ultra low fat might be closer to reality and less likely to annoy. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

This would be my vote. 

No - makes no sense and reeks of mis-identification  No butter or oil added fat or just show the calorie fat values prominently. What is your target  market? I thought we were past the fat free mania. People can read labels - those who care - do

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, heidih said:

No - makes no sense and reeks of mis-identification  No butter or oil added fat or just show the calorie fat values prominently. What is your target  market? I thought we were past the fat free mania. People can read labels - those who care - do

Well because it is low fat....if it's advertised as no fat THAT isn't true.  But it truly is low fat IMO.

I'm not a cook or a chef, but when I participated in a UCLA study that involved eating a very low fat diet, "no added fat," were the key words.  We were allowed to eat some fat-containing foods like lean fish and whole grains but absolutely no added fats or oils.  I always figured that was dietitian-speak and wouldn't have thought to use it in the title of a cooking video. 

• Like 1