• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braising in Whisky? Is it Worth a Try

Turin Hurinyan

I have recently taken to braising meat in beer, and I enjoyed great success with pork tenderloin. I have not yet tried it with chicken (as I was too busy stewing the thighs in a Hungarian paprika sauce or the breasts in various Indian-style sauces). I find myself pondering whether I can use whisky in braising meat? And on a slightly different note, what about cognac?

Note that "whisky" encompasses a handful of flavor profiles.    Bourbon (and unrelated cognac) will lend a "sweet" note.    Scotch, smokey.   Rye, peppery.   

Not whisky, but I've had wonderful success with this Mary Berry recipe for beef stew with Guinness (and divine horseradish dumpling) recipe.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Despte being Scottish and a whisky lover, I wouldn't go there. What kind of whisky?

Whisky sauce with venison is a winner, but I wouldn't use it for braising.

16 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Scotch, smokey

Not all 'scotches' are smokey.

Guiness and beef stew is an Irish classic. Yes, delicious. I often make it here. Not that particular recipe, though.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

23 minutes ago, heidih said:

My mind walked away at braising a pork tenderloin. What straw did that result in with a lean mneat  with no connective tissue. Maybe the term braising  is mis stated.

I could see pork loin being braised,but not tenderloin.

• Like 2