• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shake Shack Truffle burger and Fries

Annie_H

This was my last Shack meal. Not an obsession but thankful it exists and they seem to be doing well. 

I preferred the original hand-cut string fries and do not care for the bland cheese sauce but the Shack Sauce is good with fries.

shake shack.png

• Like 1

We go to the OG Shake Shack in Mad Park sometimes when it's nice outside - although we haven't been there in a while.  I had the truffle burger last year at some point.  It was OK, but nothing spectacular.  But TBH, I'm not a huge fan of truffle oil...

• Like 3

Lots of things born in a laboratory full of chemicals are totally artificial off-mark and horrid. Good oil and real ingredients are usually spot on infusions. 

The reviews have been good. I'm surprised they would bother if it was a really bad idea. 

"October 15 through January 10, Shake Shack's Truffle Menu is hitting the masses, made with Regalis Foods' USDA Organic Black Truffle Arbequina Oil, which happens to be the only truly natural truffle product on the market. "

EATER review, HERE

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

Regalis Foods' USDA Organic Black Truffle Arbequina Oil, which happens to be the only truly natural truffle product on the market.

Haha! This should be in the Food Funnies topic.

Does that mean the other Regalis truffle products aren't 'truly natural'. Although I'm not sure how natural Spanish truffles in Californian olive oil is natural.

I'm horrified to see that they do truffled popc@rn! Obviously, that's natural!

And, I'd want to ask what percentage of their oil is truffle? That information is unsurprisingly missing from the Regalis website.  I've seen truffle listed as low as 0.5% in other brands.

Anyway, who wants truffle on a burger? Just doing me a decent burger would be a change for 99% of places.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

Lots of things born in a laboratory full of chemicals are totally artificial off-mark and horrid. Good oil and real ingredients are usually spot on infusions. 

The reviews have been good. I'm surprised they would bother if it was a really bad idea. 

"October 15 through January 10, Shake Shack's Truffle Menu is hitting the masses, made with Regalis Foods' USDA Organic Black Truffle Arbequina Oil, which happens to be the only truly natural truffle product on the market. "

EATER review, HERE

I know that this is a quote, but have you checked this claim ? I personally would be surprise if the US market only features one product made from truffles and oil. Which in turn makes me wonder about the credibility of the article and publisher …

• Like 3

From Jack Czarnecki's kitchen at the Joel Palmer House in Dayton, Oregon, comes the first all-natural truffle oil ever produced in the United States. Flavored entirely from wild Oregon white truffles, 

https://www.oregontruffleoil.com/s/order

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, Annie_H said:

EATER review, HERE

Faint praise in that Eater piece. He talks mostly about greasy burgers that might slip on the floor.  In the end there is praise for the truffle oil burger though.

• Like 1

The quote was meant to be edited but my post went 'squirly' and I was busy prepping dinner. Yes, written odd, but I knew what was meant and a bit out of context. Hard to believe anyone writing about food would think only one true truffle oil exists. I assumed it was pointing out that the oil used is pure truffle infused and nothing else. 

Widely reported a number of years ago that most are made with a chemical blend and no truffle in sight. Why I would never order anything out in a restaurant using it. 

Urbani is a big supplier of fresh truffles. The broken bits are used in their oils and the tinned sauces. I do use the the truffle and mushroom but it is mostly mushroom with a tiny bit of truffle. Decent sauce for pasta or risotto in a pinch. 

I really like the earthy quality of wild mixed mushrooms with a burger. I make a mixed mushroom dry rub that forms a nice crust in a cast iron after a few hours un-covered in the fridge. Always make some sort of greek yogurt or mayo sauce. Need to try my dry rub in the sauce next burger night.

The Eater piece was last year when it was in a trial. May have improved on it me hopes. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Urbani uses more than just real truffle pieces in their oils.

True that. Nothing natural about 'natural flavorings'. I've not had truffle oil that I know of. Plenty of shavings over the years.

I was not at all recommending Urbani. The tins I have are good and decent ingredients. Just a bit deceptive on the label saying Black Truffles and Mushrooms when it is mostly mushrooms, evoo, and a bit of truffle breakings low on the ingredient list. At least they do use real truffles. 

I totally get that a good chef would put truffle oil on their hate pile. It was dumbed down, trendy, and discovered most were/are chemically fake. Like olive oils, avocado oils, balsamic, the melamine scandal....

I just have a hard time believing that all the oils are awful. I'll never know having no desire to purchase a few for a tasting comparison. I don't have anything commercially infused. (the gift stuff). I've had a hard enough time finding a good EV Italian and Greek olive oil after Fairway went bankrupt. 

Only one way to find out. If I like it I will not hesitate to have the brand in my pantry. Not to impress anyone. Or to sprinkle on everything. If it adds something earthy beyond mushrooms I'm all in. 

The odd quote above was Thrillist, not Eater. Not that familiar with Thrillist. Easy to find in my history. Very awkward writing style. I've known some copy writers over the years and some write about gardening having never poked a seed in soil. The article in relation to the quote, HERE ---posting in connection as it should be rather than deleting the above quote. FWIW

• Thanks 1

That linked “article” is more of an advertisement for Regalis than an informative (and unbiased) piece of journalism …

Be it as it may, I feel you need to take the plunge now and get yourself that burger, so you can enlighten us with first hand experience 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...