• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

The quote was meant to be edited but my post went 'squirly' and I was busy prepping dinner. Yes, written odd, but I knew what was meant and a bit out of context. Hard to believe anyone writing about food would think only one true truffle oil exists. I assumed it was pointing out that the oil used is pure truffle infused and nothing else. 

Widely reported a number of years ago that most are made with a chemical blend and no truffle in sight. Why I would never order anything out in a restaurant using it. 

Urbani is a big supplier of fresh truffles. The broken bits are used in their oils and the tinned sauces. I do use the the truffle and mushroom but it is mostly mushroom with a tiny bit of truffle. Decent sauce for pasta or risotto in a pinch. 

I really like the earthy quality of wild mixed mushrooms with a burger. I make a mixed mushroom dry rub that forms a nice crust in a cast iron after a few hours un-covered in the fridge. Always make some sort of greek yogurt or mayo sauce. Need to try my dry rub in the sauce next burger night.

The Eater piece was last year when it was in a trial. May have improved on it me hopes. 

Annie_H

Annie_H

The quote was meant to be edited but my post went 'squirly' and I was busy prepping dinner. Yes, written odd, but I knew what was meant and a bit out of context. Hard to believe anyone writing about food would think only one true truffle oil exists. I assumed it was pointing out that the oil used is pure truffle infused and nothing else. 

Widely reported a number of years ago that most are made with a chemical blend and no truffle in sight. Why I would never order any thing out in a restaurant using it. 

Urbani is a big supplier of fresh truffles. The broken bits are used in their oils and the tinned sauces. I do use the the truffle and mushroom but it is mostly mushroom with a tiny bit of truffle. Decent sauce for pasta or risotto in a pinch. 

I really like the earthy quality of wild mixed mushrooms with a burger. I make a mixed mushroom dry rub that forms a nice crust in a cast iron after a few hour un-covered in the fridge. Always make some sort of greek yogurt or mayo sauce. Need to try my dry rub in the sauce next burger night.

The Eater piece was last year when it was in a trial. May have improved on it me hopes.