• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The American VP and First Gentleman Visit E. Dehillerin in Paris

weinoo

Before she got on Air Force Two to return to Washington, Harris, who loves to cook, made a quick stop at E. Dehillerin, the iconic purveyor of cookware.

"I am looking around, but I want to buy a pot," Harris told the pool of reporters in tow, as she gazed up at rows and rows of copper pots hanging from pegboard, and Emhoff awkwardly stood by.

One asked whether the second gentleman is a good cook. "He's an apprentice," Harris said, chuckling. "She taught me during COVID," Emhoff said, "out of necessity after almost burning down our apartment, then I got a little bit better."

This was one of many examples where Emhoff, on his first diplomatic trip abroad with the vice president, showed how he is taking a very traditional approach to the unpaid and unheralded role as second spouse — and yet using it to send a message about gender equity, which he has chosen as a key priority.

Nice story...First Gentleman

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?