• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

Shel_B

I've always wanted to try Rancho Gordo beans, but I'm in Canada and the shipping costs are pretty prohibitive. I finally broke down and decided to treat myself a few months ago. I bought a variety of beans and enough to justify the shipping cost. I'm still working my way through them and continue to be blown away by the quality and flavour. And now I'm spoiled and looking for some good dried beans available in Canada (because I can't afford to keep paying those shipping costs!). 

• Like 1

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

On 9/20/2022 at 11:23 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Cooked up a batch of Royal Coronas yesterday and used some to make the Smoky Confit'd Beans with Olives that appears in the most recent Bean Club newsletter and is from Lukas Volger's book, Snacks for Dinner.  Recipe also available online here

4D8C21EA-5925-4734-9967-7BF755189B4F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f6d96f9a12f87c132d0325ab6dd79163.jpeg

Had some for breakfast.  Very good.  I'll make it again.  Maybe reduce the smoked paprika a bit and try adding sun dried tomatoes.  Good recipe to play around with.

Did you pressure cook the beans first?

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Did you pressure cook the beans first?

The beans do need to be cooked first but I didn’t pressure cook. With Royal Coronas, I soak over night, bring to a boil on the stovetop and put the pot into the oven to maintain the gentlest simmer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The beans do need to be cooked first but I didn’t pressure cook. With Royal Coronas, I soak over night, bring to a boil on the stovetop and put the pot into the oven to maintain the gentlest simmer. 

Yours look so good I was thinking of making them today but mine aren't soaked......pressure cooking seems like it might not be the way to go.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yours look so good I was thinking of making them today but mine aren't soaked......pressure cooking seems like it might not be the way to go.

You could give it a try. I only soak these and the Christmas Limas.  The big guys have cooked unevenly when I didn’t soak.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

You could give it a try. I only soak these and the Christmas Limas.  The big guys have cooked unevenly when I didn’t soak.  

I came across a guy that posted a "pressure quick soak" method.  Put beans in the IP.  Add 8 cups water.  High pressure for 1 minute.  Let sit for at least 30 mins.  Then, drain.  Put beans back in.  Add 5 cups water and pressure cook for 20 mins.  

I'm trying this as we speak.  I will update :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Shelby said:

I came across a guy that posted a "pressure quick soak" method.  Put beans in the IP.  Add 8 cups water.  High pressure for 1 minute.  Let sit for at least 30 mins.  Then, drain.  Put beans back in.  Add 5 cups water and pressure cook for 20 mins.  

It worked great!

They only deviation was that it took more like 40 minutes when I put the Corona beans back in the pot, not 20. 

Loved the beans!

thumbnail_IMG_3081.jpg.8abb8a064b5716bcfc2f58752cd13be0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

It worked great!

They only deviation was that it took more like 40 minutes when I put the Corona beans back in the pot, not 20. 

Loved the beans!

That's really good to know!  I was going to suggest something like that because I've seen people mention it but didn't have any specifics.  RCs are such great beans!

• Like 3

On 9/23/2022 at 3:25 PM, Shelby said:

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

It worked great!

Loved the beans!

I used this "pressure quick soak" method to cook a batch of RG's Rebosero beans that have been sitting in my pantry for far too long. I think the method overcooked them a bit -- that is, they were about to fall apart by the time I finished cooking them.

That said, I used them to cook the above-linked Smoky Confit'd Beans with Olives (sans olives, since my darling dislikes them) for dinner tonight. They were a hit! My darling insisted on adding white wine worcestershire sauce to sweeten them to his taste. I thought they were fine as they were.

Those beans, along with pan-fried salmon, were tonight's dinner. I'm not crazy about this method of cooking salmon, but hey -- it was easy, and he thought it all right too. Anything, in his opinion, to disguise the taste of salmon.

20220924_200124.jpg

(It's true: he doesn't like olives. He doesn't like salmon. Fortunately, his good qualities outweigh these shortcomings.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I used this "pressure quick soak" method to cook a batch of RG's Rebosero beans that have been sitting in my pantry for far too long. I think the method overcooked them a bit -- that is, they were about to fall apart by the time I finished cooking them.

That said, I used them to cook the above-linked Smoky Confit'd Beans with Olives (sans olives, since my darling dislikes them) for dinner tonight. They were a hit! My darling insisted on adding white wine worcestershire sauce to sweeten them to his taste. I thought they were fine as they were.

Those beans, along with pan-fried salmon, were tonight's dinner. I'm not crazy about this method of cooking salmon, but hey -- it was easy, and he thought it all right too. Anything, in his opinion, to disguise the taste of salmon.

20220924_200124.jpg

(It's true: he doesn't like olives. He doesn't like salmon. Fortunately, his good qualities outweigh these shortcomings.)

Have you tried him with arctic char?  Similar fish but not as salmony.  Much cleaner taste in my opinion.  Not to mention less expensive, and I've heard arctic char harvesting is sustainable.

While I can't deny I've overcooked a Rancho Gordo bean or two in my time, a far worse sin is undercooking.  Some Rancho Gordo varieties from Mexico need to be pressure cooked halfway to oblivion to make them eatable, in my experience.

Now I'm wishing my diner included some Rancho Gordo beans.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Have you tried him with arctic char?  Similar fish but not as salmony.  Much cleaner taste in my opinion.  Not to mention less expensive, and I've heard arctic char harvesting is sustainable.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure I've ever seen Arctic char at any price in the local stores. I'll take another look. The salmon I cooked was caught and shipped to our house by Wild Alaskan

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown