• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

Shel_B

1 hour ago, SLB said:

Two BOXES!!!  Jo.  You gotta get eatin'. . . .

As opposed to at least eight (not all of them full) boxes in the living room.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

Now I am torn.  The price has gone up and the Bean Club delivery is about to happen.  I have no lack of beans, even if not the varieties I would most want.  Do I cancel my subscription before it is too late and risk missing out on something wonderful?

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now I am torn.  The price has gone up and the Bean Club delivery is about to happen.  I have no lack of beans, even if not the varieties I would most want.  Do I cancel my subscription before it is too late and risk missing out on something wonderful?

Thanks for reminding me...I just canceled.

• Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Tough decision, Jo, for sure. You could donate beans you don't want to eat to a food pantry.

Canned beans they would like.  I'm not sure the food pantry wants dried beans.

• Sad 1

As I told @rancho_gordo in an email, I think my subscription ought to go to a more deserving person.

And since I can shop for a wide variety of Steve's stuff in my local gourmet store, I'm okay with it.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

And since I can shop for a wide variety of Steve's stuff in my local gourmet store, I'm okay with it.

That's great!  I wish I could do that.

That's my reason for not cancelling.  I can't find them around here for sure.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

That's great!  I wish I could do that.

That's my reason for not cancelling.  I can't find them around here for sure.

I'm sure when I first joined the club, they were impossible to find around here as well.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Too bad the subscription doesn't come with an NFT that you could sell to the highest bidder 

• Haha 6

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

An ad for S&W canned(!) heirloom beans popped up yesterday . Appears introduced in 2019. Really? Hardly competition but drafting on RG trend.  https://www.swbeans.com/products/heirloom-series/  https://www.facebook.com/SWBeans/videos/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, heidih said:

An ad for S&W canned(!) heirloom beans popped up yesterday . Appears introduced in 2019. Really? Hardly competition but drafting on RG trend.  https://www.swbeans.com/products/heirloom-series/  https://www.facebook.com/SWBeans/videos/

Now that's a sign of success for heirlooms. Seems worth a try

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I'm on bean club lite, too; for some reason I thought I was getting this one, and was wondering where my shipping memo was.  

Shoot.   At least it's one of the ones you can purchase outside of bean club.  

• 2 months later...

Just stocked up on summer bean salad favorites. The little flageolet has been out of stock for over a year. 

We both love the black garbanzos. Just cooked up a half pound last week from a previous bean club. Nutty, chewy, and they don't bleed. 

Perfect collection for summer salads. I like beans that hold firm exterior but creamy interiors for salads.  

IMG_5987.jpeg

• Like 6

I planned to cancel the bean club last delivery. I have 2 close friend with long covid. My master stocks with beans and rice they seen to thrive on. Gifting 4-5 pounds. SIL is just now back on her bike after 3 years. Her blood panels are good but still a bit unstable. (cancer free) I sent her walking sticks last year. Hard to watch someone my age suffering to move a short distance.

Just found a mother load in the freezer of thick sliced ham in food saver packets from newYears day ham. 4 packets. Gifted soups are so welcome.

(I thought that was over)...the ham and bean soups. Nice to have endless broths and soups for friends. 

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
On 8/27/2023 at 7:51 AM, Shelby said:

Got my bean club haul yesterday:

Just got my shipping confirmation. Not that I'm lacking for beans, but I was a little worried because my credit card was compromised recently so my card was cancelled and I just got the replacement yesterday.  I immediately updated my billing info but the charge for this shipment had already gone through and I was afraid it would be rejected.  Seems like it went through OK.  Phew!

• Like 2