• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

Shel_B

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Google shows me a number of articles that say limas can taste bitter if cooked too long but I couldn’t find any specifics. 

Thank you so much!  I will look into it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I was just doing some shelf rearranging subsequent to decanting a recent RG order. I now have Ball jars with thirteen varieties of RG beans, four of lentils (two from RG), and one of red popcorn (RG). It's an illness, I tell ya.

• Haha 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 10/9/2022 at 10:07 AM, Alex said:

I was just doing some shelf rearranging subsequent to decanting a recent RG order. I now have Ball jars with thirteen varieties of RG beans, four of lentils (two from RG), and one of red popcorn (RG). It's an illness, I tell ya.

Tell me about it. My order arrived last week:

1F6889D9-73FB-470D-9ED3-412F84062763.thumb.jpeg.06ea3b0dd07deeaafd3777dc7909154e.jpeg

In my defense, I only order about once a year.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Question. In the interest of conserving space in my kitchen cabinets, I thought to keep my Rancho Gordo purchase archived on the shelves in my garage. That means they will be subjected to temps only nominally less extreme than outdoors, that is to say, between 20-100F over the period of time they will live there. Will this harm them as far as taste/quality? If so, I will figure out how to keep them within more temperate climes.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm giving up my bean club membership, which had been reduced to a semi-annual membership a year or two ago.

1. Too many beans for us to use, unless we were to become more reliant on beans. Which I don't think will happen.

2. I can now get RG beans at one of my favorite shops, and they carry an extensive variety.

3. Someone else has to be able to make better use of the club than I do - perhaps my #1 reason.  

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yeah, I'm afraid I need to take a break from the club. I've got a big bean backlog at the moment and just ordered a bunch of garbanzos as they're the ones I use most. The price of the club will be going up next quarter and free shipping on regular orders kicks in at $50 now so the free shipping code isn't a big incentive. I'll miss getting to try some of the beans that don't make it into the shop but c'est la vie. They've really increased the size of the club so if I change my mind, I can just put my name back on the waitlist and hopefully not have too long of a wait. 

• Like 3

I don't know what I'm gonna do.  I too cut down to the LITE plan, and I split even that with a good friend.  My problem is, I also want to consume local East Coast growers beans.

I hate missing the special beans, though.  I don't know what I'm going to do.  

• Like 2

I'm torn as well. I've been a subscriber from the beginning, but we just can't keep up anymore, even cutting back to the Lite plan. I don't cook as much and we don't eat as much as we used to. Having a hard time letting go. I keep asking myself if looking at all these beans sitting in the pantry is bringing me joy. Ummmm...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

It was a fun ride for a few years and most welcome 2020. BC(before covid), I always had a quick house gift when visiting friends without shopping. Probably year three I started using the member code to order favorites. Not had any of those in over a year. DH was shocked when I mentioned giving it up for a while. He is pantry blind. No idea the last box is unpacked and on a lower shelf and now another. --I do like this last box selection. 

I'll order again after we make a dent in this back-up. Asked for an e'mail alert when a favorite is back in stock. (the little green flageolet)

I order garbanzos, lentils, and wheat berries from another supplier so I am bean stuffed. I cooked three full pounds last weekend along with a big winter master stock to freeze for quick soups and stews and barely made a dent in the pantry stash. 

Friends with two teens use the member code every time. 

I will always appreciate the quality and variety. Maybe order once a year for a few years. 

• Like 2

Tempted to join the bean club a few years ago, but the reality is that I don't try many new bean varieties in any one order. I'm stuck on two or three kinds, routinely. It's hard for me to resist making Red Beans and Rice and I am married to Domingo Rojo for that reason alone. When my stock is low I make an  order at least big enough to qualify for free shipping. My last order included Royal Corona which I admit to never having tried before, so that will be interesting. When living in NM I had my fill of refried beans, always pinto of course, but I'm less enthusiastic about pintos these days, from any source. Has anybody tried making refried beans with King City Pinks? I have one pack of them left and my daughter, who is bringing her twins to CA for xmas says the toddlers really like beans. She's way too busy to make them from scratch; if I want to make beans for her I have to tuck RG beans into my suitcase when I fly to Atlanta.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

My last order included Royal Corona which I admit to never having tried before, so that will be interesting

The Royal Coronas are rather spectacular. I recommend soaking them for more even cooking, though I believe @Shelby had good results without. This bean confit recipe is a luxurious thing to try with those RCs. People have added sun dried tomatoes and/or marinated artichokes instead of or in addition to the olives. 

As to the King City Pinks, people in the bean club group have reported using them in almost every way possible, including refried so I’m sure they’ll be good. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Royal Coronas are rather spectacular. I recommend soaking them for more even cooking, though I believe @Shelby had good results without. This bean confit recipe is a luxurious thing to try with those RCs. People have added sun dried tomatoes and/or marinated artichokes instead of or in addition to the olives. 

As to the King City Pinks, people in the bean club group have reported using them in almost every way possible, including refried so I’m sure they’ll be good. 

Thanks on both counts. Bean confit coming up in the near future. I soak all my beans. Just used to doing it. With RG beans I find a four or five hour soak is usually fine, so I never do an overnight soak. As long as I remember to unfreeze stock overnight I can finish cooking a pot of beans by late afternoon. So yummy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I might be tempted to try the confit with a good dollop of Little Green Dress instead of the Kalamatas.

• Like 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

The confit went quickly into my Fall rotation after the first bake. I think of it as a method up to interpretation like many recipes. Like the no-recipe-recipes. Last weekend with roast chicken I used lots of lemon, fresh rosemary and garlic with coronas and Domingo Rojo. 1/4 pint of stock with a mole style spice blend--made a nice 'gravy' with the chicken. Good olive oil on top then baked. I have lots of olives but keep forgetting. LGDress would be great. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 9.17.17 AM.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

The confit recipe just solved my NewYearsDay menu dilemma. Both families have used ham hocks, bacon, lots of fats going back generations for black eyed peas. Grandmother traditions. Too salty, over baked to mush. Salty spiral hams. 

A bed of blanched/roasted veg. Leeks, celery, fennel, 1/4 pint of veg stock...yada, garlic, olives, cherry toms maybe. Pile of BEPeas to cover and bake with a 1/2 pint of veg stock... Lemon and good olive oil. Maybe fresh rosemary. And/or fresh toasted sage. 

The top layer of this recipe is meaty with beans. Both of our families have vegan, gluten-free, so this rich bean dish is on the meal plan. 

I like a dish that all will like. 

Mixed greens---collards, lacinato kale, garlic, miso, under the beans to the bake--no need for meat fats. 

• Like 6

Last week I made falafel. A full pound of garbanzos soaked overnight. 60% for the falafel. The rest simmered/cooked for humus. 

I need to write this recipe down. Cleaned the cuisinart bowl to make a dressing. 

On the holiday menu for baby apps night before the big meal. Spoil my favorite elder sister. 

Usually baby crab cakes, shrimp rolls, Dads favorite oyster stew. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 9.36.50 AM.png

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Last week I made falafel. A full pound of garbanzos soaked overnight. 60% for the falafel. The rest simmered/cooked for humus. 

I need to write this recipe down. Cleaned the cuisinart bowl to make a dressing. 

On the holiday menu for baby apps night before the big meal. Spoil my favorite elder sister. 

Usually baby crab cakes, shrimp rolls, Dads favorite oyster stew. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 9.36.50 AM.png

Is the recipe online somewhere that you can share it? Or is it something you made up and could write down here (hint, hint 😉)? I love falafel although I'm generally too lazy to make it. And what is the green sauce you put on it?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

37 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Is the recipe online somewhere that you can share it? Or is it something you made up and could write down here (hint, hint 😉)? I love falafel although I'm generally too lazy to make it. And what is the green sauce you put on it?

I know you didn't ask me, but I can never miss an opportunity to plug Shaya, one of my favorite cookbooks.  I've made his Bright Green Falafel several times.  They are light and delicious. Here's a link to the recipe online

Here's a post that includes a photo of the ones I made.  They freeze and reheat very well. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 2

Great inspiration video of one of my favorite falafel spots in NYC, Mamoun's falafel

blue dolphins recipe above is very similar to the one I printed out. I keep a folder of hard copies where I can scribble notes and changes. I usually find that 3-4 recipes in combination fit our style of cooking using this-and-that and not needing to shop for ingredients---use what we have.

They do freeze great. The whole point was to make mini falafel for a veg/gluten-free app for the holidays. I had the minis on a sheet pan in the freezer but they were so good I took them out and we had them again the next night with mini Jumeokbap-(furikaki sticky rice balls)

I used rice flour, tBsp of chia seed instead of any egg. More onion and minced green onion. Along with parsley I used chopped fresh cilantro stems from a big bunch. Triple the spices. Mine are whole spice so I toast them, then spice grind. No memory of ever using a 1/4 tsp of any spice. Did not find this over spiced at all. The recipe I printed, falafel

Take the best from both recipes. Lemon zest, check. I'm using lots of lemon in my humus anyway. I like to make anything in a savory cake like fish/crab cakes or batter form to rest in the fridge to meld/mingle/bloom for at least a few hours or overnight. Made night before or morning. 

Anywho, when I need to be efficient, using the cuisinart quickly without cleaning between tasks--falafel, then humus, then a cucumber sauce, then a dressing...I did, the next day, put the somewhat grainy humus in the speed blender to puree. Added greek yogurt and another chopped cucumber to the salad topping. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Last night I found two neglected boxes of Rancho Gordo in the bedroom.  They weren't really lost but almost all my Rancho Gordo beans are in the living room, besides, there was a shipment of nuts.com nuts on top.

In the very bottom box I noticed a bag of Alubia Blanca beans.  They looked interesting.  I can't remember seeing them before.  I cooked some up and they were excellent.  I thought they deserved a mention.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In the very bottom box I noticed a bag of Alubia Blanca beans.  They looked interesting.  I can't remember seeing them before.  I cooked some up and they were excellent.  I thought they deserved a mention.

One of my favorite of the RG beans.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?