• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

Shel_B

Mine always seem to lag the first deliveries by a while, but truth be told… I am never out of beans “from before”… I just happily welcome them them when they finally arrive  😋 

• Like 3

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

A member of the bean club shared this video with the Facebook group yesterday.  

She has a heavenly voice and the whole thing is just crazy funny perfection!  

YouTube link for those who can't view embedded content: https://youtu.be/cc3tg2Q9meM

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

"Leguminati!" xD Thanks for the video and the new word!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

21 minutes ago, Gayle28607 said:

Oh blue_dolphin! That made my afternoon. So funny - and as you say she has a lovely voice to top it off. 

I think I’ve watched it at least half a dozen times and it makes me laugh every time!  

When Abby shared this to the Bean Club Facebook group she said, “Every time I've cooked beans for the past two years, I've made up some dumb version of this song. So this year, for my birthday and for RG's 20th anniversary, I went for it. I hope you get a laugh out of it! Thanks, Rancho Gordo, for being such a bright spot!”

I’m totally lacking in the voice dept but I plan to start singing this when I cook beans, too. Thankfully no one to hear me but the cats 🙃

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Spoiler so don't read further if you want your box to be a surprise.

Glad to get more frijol Negro and excited to try the Whipples.

Whipple it good!

• Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

19 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

I can't wait to get mine!

and Mr Whipple was my first thought ;)  I guess I'm aging myself!

I'm relieved that Mr Whipple *wasn't* my first thought. O.o Or my second, which was the Whipple Observatory.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

53 minutes ago, Alex said:

Or my second, which was the Whipple Observatory.

Oooh, I've been to that observatory a couple of times, we used to live not far from there! The road up Mt Hopkins made me quite nervous, it's not very wide at all in spots. The connection between that and beans is that tepary beans are grown in the region near the Observatory. The Tohono O'odham grow them and that's where I used to buy them from, though I see Rancho Gordo also sells them. I wonder where RG purchases from, does anyone know? 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
39 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Beans ARE gorgeous.    At Ferry Plaza, RG had a big bin of mixed beans for customers to run their finger through. It was like fondling thousands of jewels.  

You took me backto he bean bin in produce section when I was a kid, We'd sneak over and run our hands through. Pintos.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Cooked up a batch of Royal Coronas yesterday and used some to make the Smoky Confit'd Beans with Olives that appears in the most recent Bean Club newsletter and is from Lukas Volger's book, Snacks for Dinner.  Recipe also available online here

4D8C21EA-5925-4734-9967-7BF755189B4F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f6d96f9a12f87c132d0325ab6dd79163.jpeg

Had some for breakfast.  Very good.  I'll make it again.  Maybe reduce the smoked paprika a bit and try adding sun dried tomatoes.  Good recipe to play around with.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Cooked up a batch of Royal Coronas yesterday and used some to make the Smoky Confit'd Beans with Olives that appears in the most recent Bean Club newsletter and is from Lukas Volger's book, Snacks for Dinner.  Recipe also available online here

4D8C21EA-5925-4734-9967-7BF755189B4F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f6d96f9a12f87c132d0325ab6dd79163.jpeg

Had some for breakfast.  Very good.  I'll make it again.  Maybe reduce the smoked paprika a bit and try adding sun dried tomatoes.  Good recipe to play around with.

Those beans and the recipe look wonderful. Thanks so much for posting a link to the recipe!

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown