• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

Shel_B

27 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Oh man, they took like 2.5 - 3 hours (though I don't remember if I soaked them) on the stovetop.

FWIW, I actually prefer cooking most beans on the stovetop. But because it's starting to get hot here, I decided to haul the IP out and use it for the first time in a long time, after becoming less of a fan of pressure cooking en toto. So knowing I wanted to try Chana Masala, and knowing how long the chana took to cook the last time I made the dish, and reading my friends recipe and how he gets the chana nice and tender in his pressure cooker, bam! 50 minutes, natural release, nice and tender. Today or tomorrow I'll use them for chana masala.

Okay - I'll soak them and then plan for plenty of time on the stop top. If it's 2-3 hours, that's more time with lovely cooking smells, as our temps haven't climbed here yet. Thanks, Weinoo!

• Like 2

gayle28607

• 2 months later...

Shouldn't we have gotten our next bean club shipment by now...the last one I show was in Feb., or am I delusional and I got one in May.  Does anyone with Facebook and is a member have any information

Edited by Shelby (log)

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Shouldn't we have gotten our next bean club shipment by now...the last one I show was in Feb., or am I delusional and I got one in May.  Does anyone with Facebook and is a member have any information

Inbox archeology tells me my 2nd quarter shipment was shipped on May 25.  It had the black garbanzos (ceci neri), Christmas limas, alubia blanca, aycocote negro, mantequilla, pinto and black quinoa.

My 3rd quarter shipment last year went out on Aug 20, so we should be getting one soon.  

In the Facebook group, Steve dropped a spoiler on one of the beans in the next shipment but I haven't seen firm shipping dates yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Inbox archeology tells me my 2nd quarter shipment was shipped on May 25.  It had the black garbanzos (ceci neri), Christmas limas, alubia blanca, aycocote negro, mantequilla, pinto and black quinoa.

My 3rd quarter shipment last year went out on Aug 20, so we should be getting one soon.  

In the Facebook group, Steve dropped a spoiler on one of the beans in the next shipment but I haven't seen firm shipping dates yet. 

Thank you so much!!! Yes, I got the black garbanzos.  I've lost my mind apparently.  Sigh.  I usually take a picture of the contents of the box but I guess I didn't.  

I'm getting old lol.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Thank you so much!!! Yes, I got the black garbanzos.  I've lost my mind apparently.  Sigh.  I usually take a picture of the contents of the box but I guess I didn't.  

I'm getting old lol.

So too are my beans.

• Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

56 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Just now, a few bean club members have reported getting the renewal email.  Nothing here yet, but it shouldn’t be long. 

The tocsin sounds.  I have received the fatal notice.

Of the beans, beans, beans -- To the tolling of the beans, Of the beans, beans, beans, beans -- Beans, beans, beans -- To the moaning and the groaning of the beans.

• Haha 4

My sleep was troubled.  In my dream I was asked to contribute a dish to a potluck dinner.  I was searching through boxes and boxes of bags of Rancho Gordo beans.  I finally selected midnight black beans, but they never got cooked because I couldn't find a pot.  It was not a happy dream.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

When I turned on the computer there was a notice that my beans have been delivered.  I am afraid to go downstairs.  Beans (I have no idea what kind) on the menu for tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well, I truly hope this is the wonderful experience it should be. No bean nightmares! But I have to say, the choice, in your dream of the midnight black beans was a good one! I am finishing the last bits of my last pound of those very same beans, and they are delish. And all I did this time, because of lack of time, was sautée an onion, and then cook them. I'm hoping I might get some more when my own mystery box arrives.  [I thought I had quoted JoNorvelleWalker. Don't know why my quoting fell away. Ah well. ]

Edited by Gayle28607 (log)
  • Like 2

gayle28607

29 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Mine haven't shipped yet but I know what's in the box, thanks to the Facebook group.  

As much as the FOMO kills me, I think I'm going to downsize to the bean club-lite.

FOMO?

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Mine haven't shipped yet but I know what's in the box, thanks to the Facebook group.  

As much as the FOMO kills me, I think I'm going to downsize to the bean club-lite.

I did and I think it's enough.  I even gift some every now and then, because my inventory builds and builds.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I made that painful decision last year and as envious as I get when I see what I'm missing, I don't regret it. My pantry was overflowing.

• Like 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 2 months later...
Just now, Shelby said:

Yes!  But I got in trouble for spoiling it last time so I didn't post what it was 🤣

Right - mine was here last week, so time's up!!

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mine came two days ago.  I can't bear to look inside.

And now you don't have to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?