• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

Shel_B

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sounds like MelissaH might already have done this, but I messaged you a photo of the recipe.

Thank you so very much!!!!!!!

I was getting ready to dig through the trash and I really didn't want to......coffee grounds.....cat litter clean up....not super fun lol.

• Haha 1

The RG customer service people are really top notch and usually very quick to reply.  I suspect they might be swamped right now with people having shipment related issues so it could take a little longer but do touch base with them if you want a full copy of that newsletter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

P.S.:

im going to have to dig up that old Rx

so thank your for reminding me

wild rice , cooked al dente

then toasted pecans

citrus , green onions , red onions 

and etc

so god then

why not now ?

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Shelby said:

My bean club box just arrived :).  Very exciting.  

I just got an email that mine is out for delivery. I just got on a plane in Washington DC so I should have a treat welcoming me when I get home!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

I won't ruin the surprise...but there is something non-bean in there that I cannot WAIT to try.

Huzzah!  I am relieved.  I'm minded of an ancient Goon Show skit [from memory]:  "Sir there are rumblings among the crew down in the hold!"  "Insolent cur, how would you like a taste of the cat?"  "Oh, please, sir!  Anything but more beans!"

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 months later...

I have called a moratorium on further purchases of RG beans until I work my way through the stock I have. I can testify that the cranberry beans, cooked in the IP with nothing but diced onion and a sliced up kielbasa, then drained and stirred up with a sauce of ketchup, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, molasses and spicy brown mustard, makes a wonderful dish of baked beans for any occasion calling for them.

I bought some wax beans today at the farmers market. Contemplating cooking up some bits of bags of different beans, draining and chilling, and then mixing with lightly blanched wax beans and green beans in a viniagrette for a bean salad.

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Gosh, we aren't doing a lot of discussing...I need to be better about this.  I just got my latest :)  Anyone else?

Yes - what do I do with hominy? I've never used it before.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Yes - what do I do with hominy? I've never used it before.

Cook the hominy to make posole - then make a nice New Mexico green chili stew. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Cook the hominy to make posole - then make a nice New Mexico green chili stew. 

Significant Eater will love that, since she spent many "formative" years there.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Kerry Beal beat me to it. I love posole, but made with Rancho Gordo hominy, it's several planes above that made with canned.

@Chris Amirault, if memory serves me right, posted a posole recipe years ago that he credited to his mother-in-law. It was my introduction to posole. I make it two or three times every winter, now.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 months later...

I got my shipping confirmation this morning so they're on their way.  I almost put this shipment on hold because I still have a bunch left but I knew this one would have the calendar and that traditional New Year's item that I need for good luck!

• Like 1

I think this is from last year's batch, but tonight I cooked up a little more than half a package of "Eye of the Goat" beans, along with pork hock bones with leftover meat, some smoked bratwurst as meat insurance, and some mushrooms, red bell peppers, celery and onion that needed cooking. It took 3 cycles in the Instant Pot of 35 minutes on High Pressure, then natural release for 20 - 30 minutes, then adding a bit of water and repeating, to get the beans to the creamy consistency I'd expected. I'm glad I persevered. We both thought this delicious! I have a huge backlog of beans (and I haven't joined the club for that reason, yet) but when I'm ready to buy more the Ojo do Cabra beans will be on the order form.

20191013_221446.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

Today I'm making Posole. I have a mix of pork neck bones and shoulder plus one weird pork bone that looks a bit like a small turkey leg. My RG pozole is finished cooking. I think they take longer than RG says; mine took 2 1/2 hours, and they seemed pretty fresh to begin with. Or maybe I like them a bit softer than Steve does. I was going to defrost some some home made red chile paste, but discovered that my husband had already defrosted some roasted green chiles for his omelet. The chiles are hot, and I have enough for a Posole Verde, so that's what it will be. Garnished with lettuce and radishes and white onion. The pork stock is still simmering and smells like New Mexico to me. OMG I really should do this more often. 

• Like 4