• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

Shel_B

A secret for this is nice.

after all , you have three months to ' plan '  before you get another ' dose '

just saying.

Ive already planned out 3 of the 6 bags.,   now im up to 4 out of 6.

I also enjoyed the RG BC newsletter.   now im down to one bag that needs inspiration.

Ill try to mimic copy my favorite soup :   Campbell's Bean w Bacon soup 

it use Father's seasoning bacon.

just like that , all planned out !

of course you can take more time if you want !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

On 10/24/2018 at 11:49 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At work this evening I mentioned to a colleague that a bag of my bean club box arrived broken and spilled.  She said two bags of her bean club box arrived broken but she hadn't bothered to report it.  She assumed RG was trying to cram too much into the container.

I hope @rancho_gordo is reading this so the packaging will be improved in the future.

I have to ask why on earth she didn't contact customer service and get a replacement? 
We have a full-time customer service staff available by phone or email,  but not eGullet! 
The problem was a new bagging machine, not cramming the boxes, for the record. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

43 minutes ago, rancho_gordo said:

I have to ask why on earth she didn't contact customer service and get a replacement? 
We have a full-time customer service staff available by phone or email,  but not eGullet! 

I will ask her again when I see her.  She is not an eGullet person but she proselytizes your beans.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, rancho_gordo said:

It's just not good business to find fault with the customer.

She probably has experience with poor customer service in past transactions elsewhere.

I didn’t see her pointing fingers at you.

• Like 1

She thought they were trying to fill the box too much; that seems like she thinks the problem was theirs? 

You can't fix a problem if you don't know about it and I would much rather a customer tell ME about a problem with my product than to tell everyone else online who can't help fix it!  I'd be frustrated too, as a business owner. 

• Like 2

My first box had a broken bag but I just poured the beans back into the bag.  I realize that it would be more annoying if it were more than one bag that broke and they got all mixed up, but I admit that it's not something I would ever bother with replacing. 

I'd just pour a cocktail and get to sortin'.   

I do drink, tho.  It helps with shelling too, just FYI.  

ETA:  I do realize the value to a business of feedback.  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 10/29/2018 at 5:14 PM, SLB said:

My first box had a broken bag but I just poured the beans back into the bag.  I realize that it would be more annoying if it were more than one bag that broke and they got all mixed up, but I admit that it's not something I would ever bother with replacing. 

I'd just pour a cocktail and get to sortin'.   

I do drink, tho.  It helps with shelling too, just FYI.  

ETA:  I do realize the value to a business of feedback.  

That's what I'd do but she paid retail for a premium product and she deserves them to be perfect. 
And there were some cases of two bags bursting, making them mixed. That would be a drag to separate them. 

The hard part, as a modern business owner, is I've insisted on keeping customer service in-house. They're well-trained and frankly, delightful and I hate to say it but they sometimes make better beans than I do. We have a toll free number and an email. But people want their customer service via Facebook, Instagram and I even had someone ask for a return via Twitter. It's exhausting and inefficient. I don't come to eG often and when I do, it's really more as a fellow food enthusiast. I get excited about some of what we're doing but I'm careful not to sell or cross a line. Sorry if it came off too strong. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Supplier/packaging providers can be an issue.  I kept getting irritated when the paper bag handles at Trader Joees couldn't support even a moderate content. I finally mentioned it and the supervisor told me they had switched suppliers but were taking care of it. I should have said something sooner.

6 hours ago, rancho_gordo said:

but she paid retail for a premium product and she deserves them to be perfect. 

I agree that a paying customer deserves to receive what they purchased in good order, and it's great that your team is committed to effective response. 

For me, it's just going to be less irritating to go ahead and sort them than to wait for another box to get across the country. 

I guess if it keeps happening I might get more irritated, and conceivably incorporate an expectation of busted bags in my thinking about my orders.  Which I concede would probably be a bit of a deterrent.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 4:10 PM, rancho_gordo said:

That's what I'd do but she paid retail for a premium product and she deserves them to be perfect. 
And there were some cases of two bags bursting, making them mixed. That would be a drag to separate them. 

As another bean club member with a burst bag, I appreciate this response -- but as someone who's followed RG for years, I'm also so appreciative of the quality you provide at a reasonable price. And asking you to spend money to ship another bag of beans when I could just pour them off into a Ziploc just seemed silly. 

This did remind me to email your customer service about the recurring subscription notifications -- for us East Coast people, the subscription renewal reminder went out at about 9:30pm and the shipment was billed at 4:45am. So I woke up in the morning to both the "click here to modify your subscription" email and the confirmation that my order had shipped! I wasn't planning on cancelling, but...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't imagine the nightmares businesses these days have w " SocialMedia '

I not a SM user , but that's for other reasons.

Ive retired from what was my calling.  and have met w various students of mine

and had a nice lunch or two.

one Snark-ey remark on ServiceWhatEver  is next to impossible to reverse

even when its a load of BS.

and that's not including , Fake BS , set up by competitors  etc

Indeed , in the NYTimes and WSJ  there have been long well written articles about

the extraordinary scams , fake reviews , etc on Goliath  AKA Amazon , that channel large and significant

amount of money to bottom feeders etc.  I find this so interesting , but its the times w live in.

So I congratulate RanchoGordo

for not just an exceptional collection of products

but for doing their best to keep true to their goals.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got a message that my box is out for delivery!  

I also checked the RG Spoilers Facebook group so I know what's coming 😉

Edited to add that I had no sooner posted this, when the mailman rang my doorbell and dropped off my box-o-beans.  It's pouring rain here so both the box and the poor mailman were thoughly soaked!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

My box arrived several days ago.  Have not tried any of the new varieties...which I shall not mention due to possible spoilers.

I will say, no broken bags this time!

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Arrrgh, I've misplaced the newsletter that came with my beans and it had a recipe on it for cream of mushroom soup with wild rice.  Could someone pretty please take a picture of the recipe and post it for me?  I've looked on the Rancho Gordo site and I don't see the recipe there.

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Arrrgh, I've misplaced the newsletter that came with my beans and it had a recipe on it for cream of mushroom soup with wild rice.  Could someone pretty please take a picture of the recipe and post it for me?  I've looked on the Rancho Gordo site and I don't see the recipe there.

Protip: email customer service and ask nicely, and they'll email you a PDF. (That recipe looks delicious!)

Edited by MelissaH (log)
  • Thanks 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

36 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Sounds like MelissaH might already have done this, but I messaged you a photo of the recipe.

• Thanks 1