• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

Shel_B

Baby steps... :P

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Today I finally made the bean club!  And received a coupon code good till last month.

Me too, right down to the discount code deadline! (Psst, @rancho_gordo, did you know about that little glitch?)

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

any idea when new Members get their first box.

I emailed about the discount code

they sent it to me in an email and suggested the original email might be in a SPAM folder

but nope  don't have one.

I forgot to ask about the first box

and they didn't add details about the Q4 code

did anyone get the full email ?

Im wonder , if there isn't a bean thread on cooking

say "cooking Heirloom Beans and Grains "

am all in favor of one or a pointer to an existing bean and grains cooking thread

• Like 1

That thread cited is one of my favorite threads of all time.  

[Admittedly, I do eat a lot of beans, tho.]

ETA:  I don't know what is going on with my font here.  No idea at all.

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1

I got an email from RG

Bean Club  , including new bean club members

will be getting a shipment in Oct.

mine will ship , as a new member , next week.

looking forward to it.  hope there are some black Beans in the shipment !

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I got an email from RG

Bean Club  , including new bean club members

will be getting a shipment in Oct.

mine will ship , as a new member , next week.

looking forward to it.  hope there are some black Beans in the shipment !

I think you will like the assortment.  It includes some of my favorites and a couple I haven't tried yet.

My bean club order arrived today -- with the bag of midnight black beans pre-opened.  What a mess.  Managed to scoop up most of them.  I hope Roomba can find the rest.  RG packaging leaves a bit to be desired.  I've managed to spill bags myself before but this is the first time I've been saved the trouble.

I called customer service but no one picked up the phone.  No one has called back.

Edit:  RG customer service called back and they are sending a replacement for the midnight black.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
Update (log)
  • Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'm surprised you needed to wait a long time for a response but it's good you did get one eventually. I've only emailed them rather than phoned but have found them very responsive.

The RG peeps shared this earlier via Facebook:

Hello lovely Bean Club members! Many of you have received your boxes already, and some of you unfortunately discovered broken bags inside. We are so sorry about this. We have just transitioned over to a new bagging machine and we had to change the material and the sealing of the bags. The bags went through rigorous testing before we began shipping them, but it's obvious that we still have some kinks to work out and our production team has been working nonstop this week to solve the issue. 

If you received broken bags in your shipment, please discard the contents and shoot us an email at customerservice@ranchogordo.com. We'll send you a replacement bag right away. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

Cheers, Julia at Rancho Gordo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got my beans a day early!

IMG_5369.jpg.43c99ed66c4886200936fcdf0d303b39.jpg

Everything was in great shape.  Extremely pleased with the selection.  It's a relief to have my black eyed peas all ready for New Year's Day!  And, very excited to try the black caviar lentils.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

And, very excited to try the black caviar lentils.

I have made 2 recipes with the lentils that I can highly recommend.  The RG lentils seem quite fresh and cook up quickly.  If you want them somewhat firm for a salad or a dish that gets further cooking, I'd recommend to start tasting them at 20 min.  

The big winner in my book is this Olive Oil-Fried Lentils with Cherry Tomatoes and a Chile-Fried Egg from Alison Roman's cookbook Dining In.

IMG_9231.thumb.jpg.06955a25c49f1ce2323cb914264c3393.jpg

It brings together some really great flavors -sautéed garlic and shallots add flavor to the lentil and tomato mixture, red onions are marinated in lime juice and fish sauce and bring a fresh punch. The fried egg gets drizzled with chile oil and a sprinkle of cilantro and crunchy roast peanuts top everything off.  Here's a link to the recipe online via the Winston-Salem Journal. The site is likely to ask you to answer a survey but it seems innocuous and properly credits the author. 

The other day, for lunch, I had the Burrata & Basil Oil from Russell Norman's Polpo and it was also excellent. 

IMG_9327.thumb.jpg.2442f4182275e72980462572e21e7221.jpg
This is a warm lentil and vegetable salad dressed with a mustard vinaigrette and topped with burrata and the basil oil. The dressed lentils alone are delicious and would make a great base for any sort of lentil bowl. 
Here's a link to a streamlined version, combining the basil into the dressing, on the Smitten Kitchen site.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

At work this evening I mentioned to a colleague that a bag of my bean club box arrived broken and spilled.  She said two bags of her bean club box arrived broken but she hadn't bothered to report it.  She assumed RG was trying to cram too much into the container.

I hope @rancho_gordo is reading this so the packaging will be improved in the future.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

my BC arrived completely intact

since no one else has mentioned the bean types in this distribution , I guess its a secret.

Im very pleased that there are black beans for the JP cuban black bean soup Rx  ( from JP celebrates or the web )

looking forward to the lentils ,

and the garbanzo's for some sort spanish garbanzo soup sort of thing w spanish chorizo and saffron and spanish smoked paprika

no ancient grains at lest in my box.    some mexican oregano and a ' puck ' of srtoneground chocolate 

"" Heirloom cacao , hand roasted on a clay comal , ground with canela and pilonciiio.

of course , that gives me something to look up :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canella   w two L's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panela

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

my BC arrived completely intact

since no one else has mentioned the bean types in this distribution , I guess its a secret.

Some Bean Club members over in the Facebook group get their knickers in a twist if someone mentions the contents before they receive their boxes and "spoils the surprise."  

Personally, I like to know what's coming so I can start think of recipes to cook but I didn't want to totally ruin any surprises over here!

• Like 3