• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

Shel_B

Andiesenji mentioned that Rancho Gordo beans could be purchased at a store in Berkeley. I was about to buy some on line, but would much prefer purchasing locally, especially if the beans are fresh. Where in Berkeley, or other nearby communities, can the beans be purchased? Thanks!

... Shel

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Andiesenji mentioned that Rancho Gordo beans could be purchased at a store in Berkeley. I was about to buy some on line, but would much prefer purchasing locally, especially if the beans are fresh. Where in Berkeley, or other nearby communities, can the beans be purchased? Thanks!

It's the Pasta Shop in the Rockridge Market Mall - You can phone first to see if they have them in stock. It's tough to get through the place without spending a ton, so don't take a credit card... :rolleyes:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It's the Pasta Shop in the Rockridge Market Mall - You can phone first to see if they have them in stock. It's tough to get through the place without spending a ton, so don't take a credit card... :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm familiar with the pasta shop. Been going there for many years, although I've not been there for about a year. Thanks!

... Shel

Congratulations! I always have an assortment on hand, and we're very lucky to have plenty of chefs in the KC area who use a variety of RG beans.....the best recent dish was from Max Watson at Remedy- pork belly and pancakes topped with fried scarlet runners. Steve, when you're back in town you've got some good eating to do!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Let me add my congratulations to Rancho Gordo.

We are also big fans of, not only his beans, but several of his fine products. Yep, they can be a little bit more expensive, but like everything else in life, quality costs more.

Recent happy finds: His Mexican chocolate for making into hot drinks. As I've said elsewhere, we make our Mexican hot chocolate with water, in the manner of many Mexicans ("Like Water for Chocolate"- which is reference to the simmering bubbling hot water when it's ready to add the chocolate and beat), and then top it with cool whipped cream, and RG's chocolate is miles above the other brands we've found readily available - Abuelita and Ibarra.

And "Felicidad - Chipotle Salsa," which we love. This is a particular boon to me because I love that distinctive smokey chipotle flavor, but a little goes a long way. Usually, when I prepared some chipotle just to put a dab or two into something, like guacamole or scrambled eggs or whatever, I had a whole lot left over. Sure, I can put it into a little plastic bag and freeze it, but a shake or two of "Felicidad" accomplishes the same thing, and it's much, much easier.

As for the beans, last night I cooked up a pot of RG scarlet runners. Cooked them in chicken broth. Added some seasonings, most notably RG's fantastic Indio Oregano (which, frankly, absolutely everybody should try and which is deserving of a full-page article in Bon Appetit all by itself), and garlic, onion, rosemary, and the other usual Italian suspects. Then, in a separate frypan, browned some country-style pork ribs in olive oil and, when they were nice and brown, added them to the bean pot to simmer until tender. I served this with bruschetta with the tomato/basil topping, and boy, what a meal.

I do hear and take note of the occasional grumbling about the prices. But it's like everything else in life... The commonplace is there and acceptable and an absolutely essential foundation in our lives. Sometimes, though, it's nice to go for the cut above.

ETA: Just wanted to add that for anyone thinking over Christmas gifts, RG has a "Year of Beans" option, which I'm getting for my Dad. He lives in a retirement home apartment. He doesn't have much room and choosing presents for him always presents a dilemma. But he does have a small kitchen and he still loves to cook. I've bought RG beans for him before (especially the gift boxes), and it's a nice luxury. He can just cook up a few at a time. They're easy, nutritious (he has to watch his fat and salt intake), versatile, and he loves them. So this Christmas, I'm going for that "Year of Beans" thing. It will be really festive for him to get the different products and bean varieties that otherwise he might not try. Something fun to look forward to and to talk about with his buddies. Both of which are nice any time and under any circumstance but are particularly nice when you live in a retirement home.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Another national shoutout to eGullet member Rancho Gordo. This time in the Wall Street Journal!

In addition to raving about the beans, they mention something that's possibly even more worthwhile and that's the good work RG is doing toward saving heirloom varieties that otherwise might be extinct:

"This winter, through its Xoxoc Project, which supports Mexico's producers, the West Coast [Rancho Gordo] farm introduced Alubia Blanca from San Jose Iturbide, a small town in the Sierra Gorda of Quertero. Near extinction, these white gems have been in their farmer's family for generations; each year, he saves seeds to preserve the strain."

Wall Street Journal "Bits & Bites" article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703555804576102264233131354.html

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for posting that Jaymes. We need more positive news about preserving heirloom varieties so the multinational giant ag monsters don't take over everything we eat.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 weeks later...

Another national shoutout to eGullet member Rancho Gordo. This time in the Wall Street Journal!

In addition to raving about the beans, they mention something that's possibly even more worthwhile and that's the good work RG is doing toward saving heirloom varieties that otherwise might be extinct:

"This winter, through its Xoxoc Project, which supports Mexico's producers, the West Coast [Rancho Gordo] farm introduced Alubia Blanca from San Jose Iturbide, a small town in the Sierra Gorda of Quertero. Near extinction, these white gems have been in their farmer's family for generations; each year, he saves seeds to preserve the strain."

Wall Street Journal "Bits & Bites" article: http://online.wsj.co...4233131354.html

Well, silly me. Just now realized that I linked to LAST YEAR'S Wall Street Journal's recommendation for Rancho Gordo.

This year, it was "Ancient Salt Sampler from Rancho Gordo."

Quote:

Ancient Salt Sampler | Steve Sando of Napa, Calif.-based Rancho Gordo traverses Mexico to find the rare and wonderful products he sells. His latest obsession: salt. There's his Flor de Sal, a delicate finishing salt harvested in the Yucatán. His chunky Sal de Mar can be ground or simply plunked, rock by rock, into a pot. Perhaps the most magical is the Mixteca, from ancient mines in Puebla: Naturally high in bicarbonates, it softens beans and preserves vegetables' color as they cook. $26, ranchogordo.com (F. Martin Ramin for The Wall Street Journal)

http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/image_grid/?slug=ODgg1201#filter=.Gourmand

Add my congratulations! It's great to see Rancho Gordo / Steve get good recognition for his work and his products!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 year later...

Just a bump up to congratulate Steve on a little blurb by Ted Allen recommending Rancho Gordo beans in the April 2014 issue of Food Network magazine.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

well deserved! Reminds me I need to restock :-)

As for price, yes, they are more expensive than what you get at the supermarket, but a) they are much much better and b) more expensive still does not spell expensive here, we're not talking about $20/lb of beans. A bag feeds us easy 3 or more times, so the price difference is completely irrelevant. And now? Heading over to their site, I'm down to one bag :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I missed this. Thanks. We were part of Bon Appetit's Hot 10 one year. It was very glamorous and they flew me to NY and there was a huge party. Ted was the host and he's been a great supporter ever since. I love when people had no idea about beans and then they discover heirlooms and flip out.
I haven't seen it yet but apparently we're in this month's Cooks Illustrated in a heartbreaking article about canned beans. I think they like the canned fine but they also like ours. I'm happy for the attention but friends don't let friends eat canned beans. The fact that you have to rinse the slimy bean broth off of them is reason enough!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

friends don't let friends eat canned beans

Exactly...so start shipping to Canada! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Exactly...so start shipping to Canada! :biggrin: 

Rancho Gordo is even available in New Zealand - seen it in a couple of places now.  If it's not in Canada, you Canadians must have been very bad in a past life.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Rancho Gordo is even available in New Zealand - seen it in a couple of places now.  If it's not in Canada, you Canadians must have been very bad in a past life.

It actually may be available somewhere in Canada. But Canada's a pretty big place and e-commerce here is improving but still relatively non-existent. I live in a pretty remote area far from any of the major business areas in Canada so I do a fairly large amount of online shopping. As much as I'd like to help the economy by online shopping within Canada, not many businesses want to make money that way here so a lot of my money goes across the border.

• Sad 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.