• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zoe

A balmy Saturday night brought in the first dinner in February. Walking into Belltown, I passed beneath a young man playing guitar and singing softly from the balcony of one of the new apartment buildings along 2nd Avenue. Even the slightly unsavory characters hanging out in darkened doorways were in good moods, calling out “Good evening” to passerbys.

Zoe had seated my dining companions. We selected a glass of wine and a split of French champagne to sip as we decided on our menu. After some descriptive assistance from the enthusiastic server, we ordered a house signature item of Grilled romaine salad with bacon and apples, and a ravioli appetizer stuffed with winter squash and marscapone, topped with hazelnuts, crumbled amaretti, and a balsamic reduction. The romaine was smoky and warm (and delicious), the bacon and apple didn’t seem to quite meld into the dish. The ravioli (one very large one) was tender and creamy – as good a case for pasta as any I’ve tasted in a long while. Entrees selected were seared sea scallops with parsnip flan, grilled yellowfin tuna (served rare) with couscous, eggplant, and chutney, and veal cheeks served with spatzele and pea vines. The sides were tremendous, flavors bright, quality top notch. The mains were excellent as well. Portions were ample without being indulgent, plating was attractive though not fussy. For dessert, we split a rustic pear tart with vanilla ice cream, a special that evening substituting for a winter bread pudding. The tart was picture perfect in a homey way, the crust buttery and tender.

Pacing for our dinner was well handled (we mentioned an 8:oo engagement). The room was comfortable in temperature and sound level, with music functioning well as white noise. The room is quite pleasant, though somehow, there isn’t a great table that I could identify, none seemed particularly bad either. The window tables are nice – out of any traffic – but look out onto a still rough stretch of Belltown. We thought the dinner was quite good and look forward to returning to try other menu items.

Edited by tsquare (log)

Awesome review Tsquare!!

I'm also a big fan of Zoe.

I think at the core of the success of Zoe is one of Seattle's best and sometimes one of the most overlooked chefs: Scott Staples.

He formerly was the chef at my favorite Kirkland restaurant, the Third Floor Fish cafe (which Scott Staples left in the capable hands of his assistant, Greg Campbell).

What I like about Scott Staples and his restaurant is that he's created this completely unpretentious Northwest style bistro that is appealing on so many levels -- a comfortable atmosphere with well crafted food that isn't at all fussy. Plus, the cocktails absolutely rock. If I'm not mistaken, Kathy Casey had a hand in designing them (her drinks rule).

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I wonder if the cute bartender who has a thing for my best friend is why I've gotten such good drinks there. I wish he would ask her out already so we can have him make drinks at our next party.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 6 months later...

This has been the summer of Zoe for me - enhanced by a card giving me a free appetizer with the purchase of a specialty cocktail. I think the bartender is great - and mixes wonderful drinks (such as the sage margarita.) Again, the solo raviolio has been beautiful - light pasta with fresh fillings and toppings. Recently had dinner there - pork tenderloin with figs sauced with port-pepper reduction, sitting atop fresh aspargus and a gorgonzola potato cake. Pure bliss. They gave me two amuse - before dinner - lentils with pork confit, and after dinner, a tiny puff filled with lemon cream.

Plus, the cocktails absolutely rock. If I'm not mistaken, Kathy Casey had a hand in designing them (her drinks rule).

As someone who has a very unfortunate reaction to alcohol (3 drops and I fall asleep ! :sad:) I really appreciate and enjoy the non-alcoholic "cocktails". The "Clear Conscience" is especially delicious, and made me think about using cucumber for flavouring in new ways.

And, oh yeah, the food is excellent. Seattle needs more places just like this: interesting (but not fussy) preparations with delicious local ingredients. I just wish they'd change the menu more often. And maybe scale back the truffle oil a bit.

- S

• 11 months later...

I've been on a restaurant spree - familiar and new.

The last two bites at Zoe were the best of the bunch - a grilled octopus salad and a flourless chocolate cake. Octopus - one of those things you wonder why we eat - and how it can be so good. The cake - not dense, wonderfully rich, served with balsamic cherries.

Edited by tsquare (log)

i've been a longtime fan of Zoe and was saying again last night i'm about due for another visit.

not only does the menu always impress me, but so do the prices. with entrees topping about $25 and dipping well below, i feel i'm being treated fairly not only as a diner but as a consumer. service is always great, decor is understatedly lovely. (and they have the same chest by the bathroom i have in my office, though i don't use mine to store cleaning supplies.)

a terrific model of a restaurant done right.

did i mention i need to head back there soon?

The "chocolat" chest? I was eyeing that last night. What's the story behind it?

not much of a story. they were selling 'em a few years back at David Smith & Co.

i think i bought mine for $19 or so. it's a pretty piece. and was darn cheap, which only makes it better ...

I stumbled onto this little gem on my last trip to Seattle and I have not forgotten the good time I had there. I can not wait to take my wife as she was very pregnant on my last trip and could not make it.

I will be in Seattle Sept 6 and 7 and Zoe will be on of our first stops ( the other being the Palace Kitchen )

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Boyfriend and I went to Zoe for the first time last night with some friends. Loved the ambience and the music there. Had a nice little amuse of bruschetta with Moroccan-flavored chickpeas. My grilled octopus appetizer was terrific, perfectly tender and seasoned. Halibut entree was also very good. Had a few bites of the goat cheese tart and the sea scallops, which boyfriend ordered, and was pleased that the scallops were cooked through without being overdone. The goat cheese tart in particular made me sorry I wasn't living here in May when Zoe had its cheese 5-course dinner.

The only disappointment for me was dessert. I think I'm giving up on ordering chocolate cake in restaurants, because I keep getting disappointed by them. The flourless chocolate cake was like a brownie in chocolate flavor. Boyfriend heroically traded desserts with me; his ice cream sandwich with mocha ice cream was delicious, if unwieldly. The freebie chocolate truffles were much closer to the chocolate intensity I wanted in the cake.

We both liked this place a lot, and will be glad to return.

My girlfriend and I went to Zoe last summer for a light dinner and drinks in the bar. The service was excellent, the bartender was nice enough to "save" us two seats when they became available. The food was wonderful, the chef/owner Scott was nice enough to come over and talk to us, even going so far to recommend wine and bring us tastes of different wines by the glass. It was such a charming and inviting experience I have been back many times since.

• 3 months later...

Two more memorable meals to report.

Pappardelle with wild boar ragu - spicy, with lovely freshly made pasta.

Kobe beef - two ways - small portion sliced (ah, bacon meets beef - a new taste sensation for me - no, no bacon, just incredibly rich meat) and a chunk of cheek - falls apart with the touch of a fork. Served over soft polenta with swiss chard.

New pastry chef - lovely, tender apple cake.

• 4 months later...

Had a lovely date with my husband last night at Zoe. First time either of us have been and I have to say I am very upset now that I realized all the great meals we have missed out on!

Started in the bar with a Green Line cocktail (thanks Lauren!)...yum. Admired the space and the open kitchen and the great windows and the ceiling lights.....

Were seated at a nice table for two, me on the cozy bench which is nice but a bit low. The menu (both the regular and the 25) looked fantastic. There was no mention of the half priced bottle of wine list so we asked and were told that it was on Monday nights and it was everything but the Rare and Limited selection. (Thanks Really Nice!) ordered the Shea Vineyards Block 32......oh my!! that is a bit of heaven in a glass and a treat for us as we don't usually order over $50 or $60 unless it's a special occassion. So the half price gave us a chance to order big but stay in our price range.

We both ordered off the 25 menu. I had the pork cheek confit with apple vineagrette and lentils, Dayne had the parsnip, celery root, potato leek soup. Both were great- the soup could have been hotter.

Mains ordered were the grilled talapia with lemon sauce and boulangerie potatoes and the pork tenderloin in a great spice rub with olives and cous cous. Both were perfectly cooked and the flavors were really bright.

We decided to have a couple of cheeses (on the regular menu) and the servings were generous. Good selection also we had a hard Basque and a very soft Burgandy goats milk. Also a bit of honeycomb on the plate.

Dessert was an espresso pot de creme and the Valhrona molten cake. Dayne said he thought it was the best molten he'd had for quite a while but he is easily distracted by chocolate! haha!

Everything was fantastic! food, service, atmosphere. We plan to make this a Monday place and work our way around that wine list!!!

This was the best 25 for $25 I've been to in a LONG time.

I agree -- their 25 for $25 menu is the best of the ones that I've tried (I went last March, and it sounds like everything is just as good this year).

One thing I love about Zoe is that, despite the location, it's decidedly un-Belltown. The restaurant is well-lit, I saw a few families (with well-behaved kids) there having dinner, and our waitress treated us very well, despite the fact that everyone in our party of six ordered off of the "cheap" menu.

I agree -- their 25 for $25 menu is the best of the ones that I've tried (I went last March, and it sounds like everything is just as good this year).

One thing I love about Zoe is that, despite the location, it's decidedly un-Belltown.  The restaurant is well-lit, I saw a few families (with well-behaved kids) there having dinner, and our waitress treated us very well, despite the fact that everyone in our party of six ordered off of the "cheap" menu.

I love Zoe! We've been twice now and hope to go back within the next month. Zoe is the name of the chef's daughter, and they have a very southern European attitude toward children (i.e., they like them). No kids menu, but they'll whip together something in the kitchen that your child will like, and won't even charge much for it. Which isn't necessary in our case as long as they have the grilled octopus...

And don't forget - no corkage fee on Sunday - if what you bring isn't on their list. Please verify this offer is good beyond March 2005. Got this from their March newsletter.

Also, The Staples are big supporters of the Woodland Park Zoo's Jungle Party. They bring a new specialty cocktail each year - and are currently identified as co-hosts or some such.