• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherry Cordial Molds

bbrizend

I have purchased 3 different polycarbonate molds that were supposedly suitable for making cherry cordials.  None of the 3 have a cavity that is large enough to hold an entire cherry and some fondant.  2 of my molds will hold about 1/2 of a cherry.  The other will only hold about 1/4 of a cherry.  

The cherries I'm referring to are pretty standard maraschino cherries purchased Sam's Club in a large plastic jar.  Typically I drain off the syrup and then refill the jar with Brandy and allow it to sit for 6+ months.

Has anyone else had this issue?  

Are my cherries too big?  Are my molds too small?

Does anyone have a source for a mold that would hold an entire cherry?

Any advice is appreciated.

8 minutes ago, bbrizend said:

Not sure.  Bought them some time ago and they’re in the wash at the moment.  How could I figure it out?  Fill a cavity with granular sugar and then weight the sugar?

Most manufacturers of polycarbonate molds (I'm assuming that's what these are) will list the grams (Chocolate World, for example, always does).  Not all dealers (J.B. Prince is one example) provide this information, and they do not always list the source of all of their molds.  From what I have read (I think it was from Chocolate World) the weight is arrived at by filling a cavity with milk chocolate, the weighing it.  Some people say it is dark, but either would work.  I do a lot of bonbons with multiple layers, so need deep cavities.  I look for those that give a weight of  at least 14g, more is preferable.  Peter Greweling has a recipe that includes a whole hazelnut in the cavity, and that requires a quite deep mold.  On the Chocolate World site you can filter the view of their molds by the weight you desire or by the depth of the cavities--that would help.

If, on the other hand, you are not using polycarbonate, I'm afraid my info won't be of much help, but if you go back to the source, look for larger cavities than you have.  Tomric would be a good place to ask questions as they carry molds of different materials.

4 minutes ago, bbrizend said:

As it turns out my molds were 9, 10, and 11 gram. So I just ordered the Chocolate World CW1081 mold which is 22 grams. I would think that would be sufficient.  Thanks everyone for your help. 

Indeed, that should work.