• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

US Thanksgiving 2021

heidih

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Skilled bird (and so helpful).

:P

I train 'em well.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I was wondering about the deviled eggs I see on several of your menus. To me they are "Easter" but they are not art of my tradition - never had one until well into adulthood. Is it just an easy make ahead for general festive occasions (and Super Bowl) ?

Yes, they're easy enough to make ahead. Boil, peel and halve. Put the halves in a dish and put in the fridge. Mix yolks with whatever your choose to make filling, scoop it into a plastic bag, zip closed and put in the fridge. Day of dinner, pull out empty halves, arrange in plate, snip a corner out of the bag, and pipe full. Leftovers go into egg salad.

I promise to document the coconut cake. It's Mama's recipe. Has to be made three days in advance and let sit in the fridge to get nice and moist.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Kim Shook     All reasonable experiences and good advice.   Concern is for those less able in the kitchen than you and Mr. Kim.    In fact, a heavy bird or ham and/or boiling broth are dangerous regardless of vessel.   Planning work space, especially transfer spots and "landing places" are crucial before moving any hot foods.    But planning or more important anticipating problems is often overlooked by novices.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, kayb said:

Yes, they're easy enough to make ahead. Boil, peel and halve. Put the halves in a dish and put in the fridge. Mix yolks with whatever your choose to make filling, scoop it into a plastic bag, zip closed and put in the fridge. Day of dinner, pull out empty halves, arrange in plate, snip a corner out of the bag, and pipe full. Leftovers go into egg salad.

I'll steam and peel the eggs Wednesday.  Thursday I'll split the eggs, then have my Sweetie finish them, a job she can do sitting down. 

Leftover deviled eggs? Not by the end of the evening. 

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

6 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

@Kim Shook     All reasonable experiences and good advice.   Concern is for those less able in the kitchen than you and Mr. Kim.    In fact, a heavy bird or ham and/or boiling broth are dangerous regardless of vessel.   Planning work space, especially transfer spots and "landing places" are crucial before moving any hot foods.    But planning or more important anticipating problems is often overlooked by novices.   

Amen. We have a large peninsula in our kitchen and I began rearranging some things on it in anticipation of Thursday. 

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

We (mostly me) both prep and cook some things in advance. Today I cut up the bread for dressing to start drying it out.  On Wednesday my Sweetie will make the pie and I'll make the green bean et al casserole and the cranberry-orange relish (and that will get the food processor off of the peninsula). I'll make the brine and put the turkey in it. The olives went into the fridge when I brought them home.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

In lieu of disposable roasting pans, I imagine one or two hotel pans would last forever, be safer, accomplish the same tasks, end up saving money in the long run, and not be more stuff to get thrown away.

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 11/16/2021 at 3:54 PM, Kim Shook said:

Turns out I did forget some things: deviled eggs, corn pudding, and cranberry sauce.  Listen, y'all.  I'm all vaxxed and boostered up.  If I run away, will you hide me and feed me a little dressing and gravy?  😄

I would.   Just get your dear Mr. into that Transporter, and whiz over here.   We could sorta approximate that April in 2009 when you stepped out into our back yard and we all changed course a little bit, I think.     (Of course, the only caveat is that if you could see my house, you wouldn't eat my cookin'!).   We've just let things go for so long, with "keeping no company, having no horse, no servants, just this snug little cottage," that things are too out of order, kilter, sorts, hand, place, and control to have anyone in.   Scarce a soul has passed our doorstep save the postman and Amazon, for here these nearly two years.   How about we have it on the HOLODECK!!??  There's the ticket---all those replicators and settings and easy-peasy EHL GREY, HOTT.   I'm for that, and I'm wavering between being Lwaxana Troi and Jadzea.   I'll check my closet.      Moire non of how things REALLY are, in a less public forum.   

I'm giddy with the prospect of going out, I think---Kathy and I are going on some errands and to lunch---first time in years, and my first venture into someone else's vehicle in a long time.   She's picking me up at ten, so I'd best go finish getting ready.   Love to Y'ALL, from way over here!!   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

A Los Angeles Times headline today "It’s been decades since Russ Parsons — our former Food editor who is now delighting Irish Times audiences with his culinary know-how — turned his mom’s recipe into a Times classic." They refer to it as Mom Parson's Cranberry Sauce.

Paraphrasing @russ parsons:

1-1/2 c. sugar, 3/4 c. water, 3 cloves, 3 allspice (berries), 2 x 3" cinnamon stick. Boil couple minutes till clear. Then add bag of cranberries (12 oz.). Give it a few minutes till they start to pop. Off heat stir in grated zest of an orange. Refrigerate 1 to 3 days. Fish out spices before serving. 

Personally I like a touch of salt and a grind or so of black pepper.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, heidih said:

Russ Parsons — our former Food editor who is now delighting Irish Times audiences with his culinary know-how

Speaking of Mr. Parsons his writing for the Irish Times, here's a nice read from earlier this month, Russ Parsons: Thanksgiving foods at the centre of the table for American traditions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Planning had been up in the air until this past Monday, but now I know it will be the two of us here, so I ran out and got what I needed early this morning. Prep and cooking timeline has been updated from a couple of years ago, printed and clipped to the front of the fridge. Now to line up the movies that tradition says must be seen over the holiday weekend. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Like 2

We just dropped the bread off at the in-laws house and visited outside for a bit.  Ronnie decided he might want to go hunting tomorrow so it was best to get it done today.  Brother and sister in law seemed fine .....then we went over and  broke the news to mother in law in person that we wouldn't be there tomorrow.  She was sad, but I think she will be ok.  Sigh.  I hope it's easier when we tell her we won't be there for Christmas either.  Double sigh.

It's nice with it just being us I don't have to really stress about what to make--I'll putz around the kitchen all day tomorrow.  I got a bag of cranberries in my Imperfect delivery so I want to do something with those today.  I've put all the meat in the fridge to thaw.

Need to hard boil some eggs, too.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

DH made our 🦃-Day dessert today so it can chill overnight

Burnt Basque Cheesecake. 

I didn't even know that was a 'thing.'

It has been popping up on internet lately. Unfortunate name. Let us know how you like it.

I'm cooking the majority of the meal (as usual).  I putting a turkey on the grill to free up space, we have a Cure 81 Ham since my mother doesn't do bird.  I'll be making my cornbread dressing, brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes and a poached pear almond tart.  My mother will make my grandmother's cranberry relish, sweet potato casserole and squash casserole.  We're gonna have probably 15 people here.  

• Like 3

I envy those who actually have folks coming though I am pretty Covid picky on interactions. Father home till Tuesday when he has aortic valve replacement so his fantastical idea not grounded in reality of great family Thanksgivings is his desire. Only 3 people. Turkey legs, green beans, cranberry from can, and cornbread.  His wife is doing the legs with potatoes in pan. I am twitching from lack of cooking so I am pre doing the cornbread now, then the green beans (coconut milk, mustard, ginger  simmer - soft for the elders). They won't eat sweets so I am not even going there. Also reducing the dishwater tasting liquid she boiled turkey necks in yesterday with some smoked turkey bones from freezer. Good base for a soup. We  shall see  Al underscored with medically directed low salt protocol. 

• Like 4

I am doing chamorros (pork shanks) in the Instantpot.  Worried on timing as the recipe is for slow cooker at high for 7 1/2 hours.  These are BIG shanks.  Googled it....thinking 1.25 hours under pressure??  

Today I bought camotes cocidos (cooked yams) at the weekly market today....Gloria does an excellent job on these, sweet and soft. 

shanks.jpg

camotes.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Yams are something I want now - she does a lovely job, Look forward to your pork. Ild love to see them unpacked to get a better idea of their nature. I have no input re Instapot.

My husband, trying to be helpful with deviled egg prep, while I was out of the kitchen--cut all the boiled eggs in half---not lengthwise! I discovered him as he was cutting the last one, so I have 24 very awkward deviled eggs.

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 10

39 minutes ago, Orbit said:

My husband, trying to be helpful with deviled egg prep, while I was out of the kitchen--cut all the boiled eggs in half---not lengthwise! I discovered him as he was cutting the last one, so I have 24 very awkward deviled eggs.

Hey, my Grammy made an Easter themed deviled egg holder in her ceramics class like a zillion years ago.  You will look cool with the eggs cut like that......I know that plating might be a challenge.  Off the top of my head do you have some ice cube trays.....or a platter with some lettuce wedged in to hold them up.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, heidih said:

It has been popping up on internet lately. Unfortunate name. Let us know how you like it.

I keep thinking I want to bake one, but then I just don't get around to it. If it's good, point us to the recipe. It looks lovely. Any dessert that's better for being in the fridge overnight has my approval.

Until 2020 every Thanksgiving for exactly FORTY YEARS has included my SIL's pies: usually five of them! Last year there was just me and my husband and no pie. This year there will be five of us and two bakery-bought pies, since the pie baker will be elsewhere on Turkey day. Sad. Her apple pie is always my favorite, but her pecan makes an excellent Friday lunch.  

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Hey, my Grammy made an Easter themed deviled egg holder in her ceramics class like a zillion years ago.  You will look cool with the eggs cut like that......I know that plating might be a challenge.  Off the top of my head do you have some ice cube trays.....or a platter with some lettuce wedged in to hold them up.....

Serve them in an egg crate why dontcha?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, heidih said:

A Los Angeles Times headline today "It’s been decades since Russ Parsons — our former Food editor who is now delighting Irish Times audiences with his culinary know-how — turned his mom’s recipe into a Times classic." They refer to it as Mom Parson's Cranberry Sauce.

Paraphrasing @russ parsons:

1-1/2 c. sugar, 3/4 c. water, 3 cloves, 3 allspice (berries), 2 x 3" cinnamon stick. Boil couple minutes till clear. Then add bag of cranberries (12 oz.). Give it a few minutes till they start to pop. Off heat stir in grated zest of an orange. Refrigerate 1 to 3 days. Fish out spices before serving. 

Personally I like a touch of salt and a grind or so of black pepper.

I  tried to reply to this a few minutes ago, but somehow I am not seeing my reply. 
I just made these.  These are a staple on my Thanksgiving table..have been since I encountered the recipe years ago.  Very easy to make and so good.  

Christine

• Like 2