• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Several years ago, we started rotating who cooks the family's Thanksgiving meal.  This year it is my nephew's family that will be hosting it because last year was his turn and it was cancelled.  I always make a small second Thanksgiving meal the next day for the two of us just so we have some "left overs"  I was asked to bring a pumpkin pie, one other pie of my choice to the dinner at Ryans. Besides the pumpkin pie I found some Oregon tart cherries at the store.  They have been hard to find since I have been back in Kansas City and they are my favorite, so I'll make a cherry pie and an apple crisp to take over for them. For our dinner the next day, already have a turkey in the freezer and have made some cranberry sauce.  I have made a cranberry chutney for years but last year I tried a new cranberry sauce and we both really liked it (and it is easier to make too).  I picked up some stuff to make dressing at the store today. I plan to make the cornbread and yellow cake mixed together for one of the breads.  I found a recipe for gravy that I made back in 1984 and it was a hit.  I expect to make that again to see if it is still as good as I remember.

The rest of the menu is still pending.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Several years ago, we started rotating who cooks the family's Thanksgiving meal.  This year it is my nephew's family that will be hosting it because last year was his turn and it was cancelled.  I always make a small second Thanksgiving meal the next day for the two of us just so we have some "left overs"  I was asked to bring a pumpkin pie, one other pie of my choice to the dinner at Ryans. Besides the pumpkin pie I found some Oregon tart cherries at the store.  They have been hard to find since I have been back in Kansas City and they are my favorite, so I'll make a cherry pie and an apple crisp to take over for them. For our dinner the next day, already have a turkey in the freezer and have made some cranberry sauce.  I have made a cranberry chutney for years but last year I tried a new cranberry sauce and we both really liked it (and it is easier to make too).  I picked up some stuff to make dressing at the store today. I plan to make the cornbread and yellow cake mixed together for one of the breads.

The rest of the menu is still pending.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Several years ago, we started rotating who cooks the family's Thanksgiving meal.  This year it is my nephew's family that will be hosting it because last year was his turn and it was cancelled.  I always make a small second Thanksgiving meal the next day for the two of us just so we have some "left overs"  I was asked to bring a pumpkin pie, one other pie of my choice to the dinner at Ryans. Besides the pumpkin pie I found some Oregon tart cherries at the store.  They have been hard to find since I have been back in Kansas City and they are my favorite, so I'll make a cherry pie and an apple crisp to take over for them. For our dinner the next day, already have a turkey in the freezer and have made some cranberry sauce.  I have made a cranberry chutney for years but last year I tried a new cranberry sauce and we both really liked it (and it is easier to make too).  I picked up some stuff to make dressing at the store today. The rest of the menu is still pending.