• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

typo

I will join my cousins.  Save one, they are all vegetable phobes so that's what I usually bring.  There will be an enormous turkey, 25 lbs minimum, stuffed the night before with bread stuffing, then put in the oven with a timer to start sometime in the wee hours.  The guy has a PhD in neuroscience but they must not have required any microbiology coursework.  Sheesh! Everyone else is happy to eat it and I'm unaware of any issues but usually aim for a wing or a slice off a drumstick and skip the stuffing. At least 20 lbs of mashed potatoes and gallons of gravy will be consumed.  He does an excellent job with the gravy. 

They also set out all the food, save the gravy, then call everyone to the tables where we stand for an endless recitation of gratitudes.  Of course, I have many things to be grateful for but standing around while children are prodded to speak and some adults wax rhapsodically whilst the food cools isn't one of them.  

I'm sure it will be delightful!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I will join my cousins.  Save one, they are all vegetable phobes so that's what I usually bring.  There will be an enormous turkey, 25 lbs minimum, stuffed the night before with bread stuffing, then put in the oven with a timer to start sometime in the wee hours.  The guy has a PhD in neuroscience but they must not have required any microbiology coursework.  Sheesh! Everyone else is happy to eat it and I'm unaware of any issues but usually aim for a wing or a slice off a drumstick. At least 20 lbs of mashed potatoes and gallons of gravy will be consumed.  He does an excellent job with the gravy. 

They also set out all the food, save the gravy, then call everyone to the tables where we stand for and endless recitation of gratitudes.  Of course, I have many things to be grateful for but standing around while children are prodded to speak and some adults wax rhapsodically whilst the food cools isn't one of them.  

I'm sure it will be delightful!