• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does anyone else can quince or make quince jelly/paste?

cteavin

Every year I order 9 kilos of quince and preserve them -- they're my favorite fruit. (They're waiting for me in the kitchen, atm.) This year I bought an extra 3 kilos for jelly.

I don't see quince getting the love they deserve. Anyone else here a fan? Any favorite recipes or ideas you want to share? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Three years ago I made quince jelly. Quince is readily available here in the summer, when small vendors in the mercado show up with the products of their family trees. This was my first experience with quince and I liked it very much. I poached some and used the rest for this jelly.

6 c. quince, packed, grated with peel

4-1/2 c. water

1 Tbs. lemon or lime zest

1/4 c. lemon or lime juice

4-1/2 to 5 c. sugar (I found the larger amount was better)

1 tsp. vanilla (stir in at end)

1/2 tsp. cardamom (optional)

1/2 tsp. nutmeg (optional)

1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Working around the core, grate the quince until you have 6 cups. Bring the water to boil and add the quince, lemon juice and zest. Reduce heat and simmer until quince is tender, about 10 minutes. Add sugar and bring to boil again, lower heat to medium-high, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until jam turns pink and is thickened to desired consistency, about 30-50 minutes. Stir in vanilla and add optional ingredients, if desired--choose only one or two. Ladle into jars and process for 30 minutes (this is altitude adjusted for 7,000 feet--check your Blue Book for lower altitudes). 6 jars.

This is a little rough at first but matures nicely over time. I am still using the jelly and find that it's more refined than it was at first. Excellent with cheese. (By the way, I almost always add vanilla to my jams and jellies. Especially good with strawberry.)

I just realized that I'm out of quince jelly. Rats--I missed the season and will have to wait until next year. However I'm well supplied with fig jam, so it could be worse.

• Like 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"