• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with all this leftover sugar syrup from candying citrus?

cteavin

I must have about three quarts of orange syrup, and one quart each of lemon, pineapple and ginger syrup. All of it is at 70 degrees Brix. 

Any idea on what to do with it? 

I was thinking to make jelly with some of the orange but every recipe I can find online only talks in granulated sugar. I was also thinking of making a very strong tea and making a tea jelly with some of the lemon, but not sure if that would even work. 

What do you do with your leftover syrups? Any thoughts on what to do with all this extra? 

If the syrups are thin, I reduce them and bottle them. I add spices to some of the orange syrup and simmer it until the spice flavor is pronounced enough to flavor tea.  You can use the syrup instead of sugar in various quick breads, cakes, pies, cookies, puddings trifles, etc.  I used to make candied ginger in very large batches in an electric roaster so ended up with a lot of syrup.  I never had a problem using it up.

I used a mixture of the orange and ginger syrup on cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, winter squash, etc.  I roasted ducks bathed in orange syrup.

I used to have a cookbook that had dozens of recipes for maple syrup and i made those with my homemade syrups. 

And there are several cookbooks for Karo Syrup both dark and light.  Here's a page to get you started:  https://cookpad.com/us/search/karo

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cocktails?

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 11/9/2021 at 6:59 PM, liuzhou said:

I have a recipe which uses a ginger syrup in a salad dressing served with squid, but as it only uses 2 tbs at a time, it might not make much of a dent in your 2.8 litres.

Every dent helps. :)

On 11/9/2021 at 11:39 PM, lemniscate said:

Make gummies?

This is a great idea! I'll do a bit of research. Thanks! 

5 hours ago, andiesenji said:

If the syrups are thin, I reduce them and bottle them. I add spices to some of the orange syrup and simmer it until the spice flavor is pronounced enough to flavor tea.  You can use the syrup instead of sugar in various quick breads, cakes, pies, cookies, puddings trifles, etc.  I used to make candied ginger in very large batches in an electric roaster so ended up with a lot of syrup.  I never had a problem using it up.

I used a mixture of the orange and ginger syrup on cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, winter squash, etc.  I roasted ducks bathed in orange syrup.

I used to have a cookbook that had dozens of recipes for maple syrup and i made those with my homemade syrups. 

And there are several cookbooks for Karo Syrup both dark and light.  Here's a page to get you started:  https://cookpad.com/us/search/karo

YOU are a national treasure! xo

I guess I could do the calculations to work out how much sugar and water are in 70 degree brix syrup and start here. 

Oh, and I just put some orange syrup in a double boiler with fresh ginger and spices for a syrup to flavor my tea/coffee. I might get close to Pumpkin Spice lattes. :)

Thank you all for the suggestions. :)

• Like 3

I never did the brix measurements.  I would reduce the syrup until it was about the same thickness as Karo, poured the same and used it 1:1, adjusting the flavoring when it had a strong spice flavor, generally leaving out the cloves and cinnamon and using ground allspice and black pepper in quick breads, muffins and cupcakes.  

I also made my version of Italian meringue with the flavored syrups, making small batches for testing. The orange spice meringue on thin slices of pound cake was a favorite with my clients when I was catering.

I would usually have 1 1/2 gallons of ginger syrup or orange syrup after candying large batches.

This is a photo of one of the last big batches of candied ginger I made.  It was actually a 15 quart batch but I still had some in the dehydrator when I filled this Cambro container.

P.S. This ginger was all home grown. I maintained a large patch for years and was able to grow it by carefully keeping it deeply mulched with a couple of feet of straw covered by tarps during the winter with some heater strips that are intended to be used under tile floors.  

GINGER, CANDIED, BIG BUCKET.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

15 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I also made my version of Italian meringue with the flavored syrups, making small batches for testing. The orange spice meringue on thin slices of pound cake was a favorite with my clients when I was catering.

This is especially interesting to me -- and good to try because I have so much -- because I assumed the citrus oils would get in the syrup and prevent it from whipping. Did you use any powdered egg white to make up for the extra water? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cteavin said:

This is especially interesting to me -- and good to try because I have so much -- because I assumed the citrus oils would get in the syrup and prevent it from whipping. Did you use any powdered egg white to make up for the extra water? 

I used only the meringue powder because it contains Cream of Tartar which will counter the action of oils because I also used the Loraine flavors which are oil-based. 

You can also add gum arabic to stabilize if you use only dehydrated egg whites.

As I said, I experimented with small amounts - I used a wand type milk frother for the small batches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if I should post a new topic or carry on here, but I've had quite the canning experience the past few days. 

I took all the quince skins, cores and seeds and boiled and boiled and boiled for a very pectin rich liquid. I "brewed" Orange Pekoe Tea with a portion, strained, then used some of that orange syrup:

Orange Tea Jelly! 

It's VERY nice. I'll have to post pics. :) 

• Like 5