• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I never did the brix measurements.  I would reduce the syrup until it was about the same thickness as Karo, poured the same and used it 1:1, adjusting the flavoring when it had a strong spice flavor, generally leaving out the cloves and cinnamon and using ground allspice and black pepper in quick breads, muffins and cupcakes.  

I also made my version of Italian meringue with the flavored syrups, making small batches for testing. The orange spice meringue on thin slices of pound cake was a favorite with my clients when I was catering.

I would usually have 1 1/2 gallons of ginger syrup or orange syrup after candying large batches.

This is a photo of one of the last big batches of candied ginger I made.  It was actually a 15 quart batch but I still had some in the dehydrator when I filled this Cambro container.

P.S. This ginger was all home grown. I maintained a large patch for years and was able to grow it by carefully keeping it deeply mulched with a couple of feet of straw covered by tarps during the winter with some heater strips that are intended to be used under tile floors.  

GINGER, CANDIED, BIG BUCKET.png

andiesenji

andiesenji

I never did the brix measurements.  I would reduce the syrup until it was about the same thickness as Karo, poured the same and used it 1:1, adjusting the flavoring when it had a strong spice flavor, generally leaving out the cloves and cinnamon and using ground allspice and black pepper in quick breads, muffins and cupcakes.  

I also made my version of Italian meringue with the flavored syrups, making small batches for testing. The orange spice meringue on thin slices of pound cake was a favorite with my clients when I was catering.

I would usually have 1 1/2 gallons of ginger syrup or orange syrup after candying large batches.

This is a photo of one of the last big batches of candied ginger I made.  It was actually a 15 quart batch but I still had some in the dehydrator when I filled this Cambro container.

GINGER, CANDIED, BIG BUCKET.png