• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

If the syrups are thin, I reduce them and bottle them. I add spices to some of the orange syrup and simmer it until the spice flavor is pronounced enough to flavor tea.  You can use the syrup instead of sugar in various quick breads, cakes, pies, cookies, puddings trifles, etc.  I used to make candied ginger in very large batches in an electric roaster so ended up with a lot of syrup.  I never had a problem using it up.

I used a mixture of the orange and ginger syrup on cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, winter squash, etc.  I roasted ducks bathed in orange syrup.

I used to have a cookbook that had dozens of recipes for maple syrup and i made those with my homemade syrups. 

And there are several cookbooks for Karo Syrup both dark and light.  Here's a page to get you started:  https://cookpad.com/us/search/karo

andiesenji

andiesenji

If the syrups are thin, I reduce them and bottle them. I add spices to some of the orange syrup and simmer it until the spice flavor is pronounced enough to flavor tea.  You can use the syrup instead of sugar in various quick breads, cakes, pies, cookies, puddings trifles, etc.  I used to make candied ginger in very large batches in an electric roaster so ended up with a lot of syrup.  I never had a problem using it up.

I used a mixture of the orange and ginger syrup on cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, winter squash, etc.

I used to have a cookbook that had dozens of recipes for maple syrup and i made those with my homemade syrups. 

And there are several cookbooks for Karo Syrup both dark and light.