• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toasted marshmallow in a bonbon?

RWood

So, since I'm finally getting organized after moving, I'm planning on making some chocolates for the holidays and want to make a s'mores.  But, to me it's not s'mores unless the marshmallow is toasted.  
I was thinking of piping the marshmallow into some molds I have, then lightly toasted them, letting them firm back up and placing them in the shell.  Potential for being messy I'm thinking. I do have a small butane torch.  

My other thought is too toast the meringue before it setting.  I make a toasted marshmallow buttercream that I run a torch over the meringue several times and mix it in before adding the butter.  So, I was going to experiment with that first.  I'm thinking of using dry egg whites for the meringue as gelatin based marshmallows don't seem to hold up as well to torching, at least from my experience.  

Any other ideas?

I faced this same issue when I decided to make a s'mores bonbon.  I eventually gave up on the torching a marshmallow idea since I couldn't think of a way to make it without destroying the marshmallow.  It's difficult enough to pipe a soft marshmallow filling into a shell successfully.  What I eventually did will probably not please you (because it sounds like cheating), but I'll explain it just for the record.  It occurred to me that the taste of toasted marshmallow is really caramelized sugar.  Once a bonbon is in the mouth, it all melds together, and all that comes through from the marshmallow might be a slight taste of that caramelization.  I can't see how It would ever be the authentic taste of a marshmallow toasted over an open fire.  So I found a flavoring from Amoretti called, of all things, "toasted marshmallow," and that's what I use.  It's a natural flavoring, but if one wanted to use something totally homemade, it could be replaced by a little very dark caramel.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I faced this same issue when I decided to make a s'mores bonbon.  I eventually gave up on the torching a marshmallow idea since I couldn't think of a way to make it without destroying the marshmallow.  It's difficult enough to pipe a soft marshmallow filling into a shell successfully.  What I eventually did will probably not please you (because it sounds like cheating), but I'll explain it just for the record.  It occurred to me that the taste of toasted marshmallow is really caramelized sugar.  Once a bonbon is in the mouth, it all melds together, and all that comes through from the marshmallow might be a slight taste of that caramelization.  I can't see how It would ever be the authentic taste of a marshmallow toasted over an open fire.  So I found a flavoring from Amoretti called, of all things, "toasted marshmallow," and that's what I use.  It's a natural flavoring, but if one wanted to use something totally homemade, it could be replaced by a little very dark caramel.

I have seen the toasted marshmallow flavoring, I use their birthday cake flavor, so that is a thought.

I may try a small batch of the buttercream idea I mentioned, but if that is a bust, the flavor may be the way to go.

Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

Do you want to maintain the gooey marshmallow texture or just the flavor? 

I've torched white chocolate to simulate marshmallow, also toasted marshmallows then melted them in cream.

I was kinda wanting the marshmallow to be a layer, with the flavor and texture of being toasted, which may be too much to ask in a bonbon.  When I've made toasted marshmallow ice cream, I've toasted them really well, then melted into the milk/cream mixture.  The flavor really comes through.  But, it could work in a ganache, just wouldn't be like a s'mores texture wise.  This may be a project for another time, not around the holidays. 

• Like 1

I've done this a few times actually! What I did was make my marshmallow filling, spread it thin on a silpat (increase the surface area of the marshmallow) and then torch the bugger until I'm satisfied. Mix and homogenize and you should have roasty mallow flavor with a small amount of texture from the roasted bits.

This can look like:

1. While the filling is still warm, spread thin on silpat

2. Roast/Torch entire surface

3. Mix the roasted bits into the marshmallow and taste

3a. If it does not taste toasted enough, repeat steps 1-3.

3b. If it tastes how you want, bag it and pipe when at temp

• Like 2

4 hours ago, polymeowrs said:

I've done this a few times actually! What I did was make my marshmallow filling, spread it thin on a silpat (increase the surface area of the marshmallow) and then torch the bugger until I'm satisfied. Mix and homogenize and you should have roasty mallow flavor with a small amount of texture from the roasted bits.

This can look like:

1. While the filling is still warm, spread thin on silpat

2. Roast/Torch entire surface

3. Mix the roasted bits into the marshmallow and taste

3a. If it does not taste toasted enough, repeat steps 1-3.

3b. If it tastes how you want, bag it and pipe when at temp

Nice!  I'll give it a try.  Thanks!