• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Ottawa!

Jennifer M.

While I'm not really one for social media, I wish I had discovered eGForums sooner! I suspect I will be able to lose myself for days in the chocolate threads...

I am an occasional chocolatier, an occasional baker and a keen camper, based in Canada's national capital.  While I doubt I will every try making chocolate in our little Alto travel trailer, I have been playing around with the Omnia oven lately, to let me bake on a campstove. I have worked with chocolate for many years; I blame it on Vicky Gabereau (Canadians may remember her CBC afternoon radio show in the 80s and 90s, where she interviewed many people, including chocolatiers who contributed recipes to her Cooking Without Looking cookbook which raised funds for Streetkids International). Still debating the pros, cons, financial viability of working with chocolate as a business, so I expect this forum will provide lots of <food for thought> (couldn't resist!).

I look forward to meeting many of you as we explore delicious topics on this forum!

• Like 4

Hello from someone who lived many years in Ottawa, as a public and high schooler.  Husband Ed is from Ottawa.   

Yes, the chocolate threads are wonderful.  You will certainly get lost there.  I love working with chocolate although it's not been central in my cooking life for quite a while now. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well, Jennifer, you are (already) keeping up with great eGullet traditions, namely that of encouraging others to spend money on new kitchen toys. I don't camp but I'm really, really interested in that Omnia Oven - it's such a nice looking gadget!

Welcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2