• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

2 hours ago, palo said:

Okay, my take on the AGA - back in the day in England when central heating was uncommon the stove not only heated your food but also your house - nowadays I think its more a nostalgic thing (and a thing of beauty as well) the newer ones do not have to be "on" all the time, but with their huge mass it would take a while for the oven to come to temp, whereas the new top burners being gas work just as normal

I stand to be corrected on any or all of my previous observations

p

Also back in the day ... that Aga sales manual assumes many households will have a full-time cook in residence. Suggesting that the stove will get used for 3 meals a day every day, making it slightly more credible that keeping the thing hot 24/7 wouldn't be a colossal energy waste. 

https://www.agamarvel.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/aga_ogilvy_booklet.pdf

paulraphael

paulraphael

24 minutes ago, palo said:

Okay, my take on the AGA - back in the day in England when central heating was uncommon the stove not only heated your food but also your house - nowadays I think its more a nostalgic thing (and a thing of beauty as well) the newer ones do not have to be "on" all the time, but with their huge mass it would take a while for the oven to come to temp, whereas the new top burners being gas work just as normal

I stand to be corrected on any or all of my previous observations

p

Also back in the day ... that Aga sales manual assumes many households will have a full-time cook in residence. This suggests that the stove will be getting used for 3 meals a day every day, which makes slightly more credible that keeping the thing fired up 24/7 wouldn't be a colossal energy waste. 

https://www.agamarvel.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/aga_ogilvy_booklet.pdf