• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four days in rainy Berlin

Duvel

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I was curious about the doner - here, we have 2 different varieties of something similar - gyro which is basically a giant (doner sized) caseless relatively finely ground sausage revolving on the spit, and shawarma which is thin pieces of marinated meat stacked up on the spit to doner size, then shaved from the sides.  It seems like the German doner is more of what I would call shawarma - is that right?

In Germany, Döner needs to be comprised of stacked slices of marinated meat. It is, however, allowed to add a certain amount of minced meat, typically to smoothen the mass out and giving it a more uniform appearance. It also lowers the cost. A skewer just made from stacked meat slices is considered of higher quality. 

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@Duvel I've eaten at a 5 Guys near us a couple of times when we took our daughter, SIL and their children. I don't understand the draw. It wasn't bad; for me it was just a burger.

Heresy I know, but I never see much in any burger to rave about. Perfectly nice but not anything remarkable to me.

Perhaps I eat too many.

• Like 1

My German professor back in the 1960's had nothing but ill to say about the  Brandenburger Tor.  "Last war we ever won."  She was more into stories of beer gardens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Ive been to two 5-guys here.

the attraction is you cn put all sorts of stuff on the burger

the bad is the bun , and many of the toppings are cold.

I had never been to the Five Guys in the US but went to the one in Milan and enjoyed it well enough, just because I hadn't had a crappy American fast food burger in ages. There is also a Steak n Shake (which I also didn't know) and that one was better though. 

The Berlin write-up has been so fun! I went the summer before locked down and I loved it. And now I just wante to go back. 😀 It's all your fault! 🤭

Coincidentally, I'm told that all of the Doner Kebab meat in Italy comes pre-made from Germany. I don't know if that's true, but that's what they say!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This HAS been a fun writeup! Like many others, I'm impressed with your physical stamina - both for cycling and eating. :) I didn't know about Doner Kebab, much less its kinship to shawarma, gyros, and the versions Heidi showed in Southern California. Thank you for that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 hours ago, Porthos said:

@Duvel I've eaten at a 5 Guys near us a couple of times when we took our daughter, SIL and their children. I don't understand the draw. It wasn't bad; for me it was just a burger.

I say the same about In n Out.  I don't get the cult.

Perhaps its the limited availability.  Like when Coors was desirable simply because of limited distribution.  It made for a good movie, though.

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

just such a wonderful trip.

its dry where I am !

in terms of international franchises

or German ones

what is the situation 

re:  ' fried chicken ' ?

Fried chicken is a concept that has never really caught on here. Sure, we have KFC, but it is not really that popular. If I take my parents at the quintessential German couple, the issue with fried chicken is the (multitude of tiny) bones and the greasiness. It is a perception thing, of course, as you might have noticed German food isn’t exactly lean either. Yet, a proper Schnitzel will alwys be perceived better than anything from a KFC bucket. Chicken McNuggets, however, are popular as they do not have bones and their coating conceals the frying medium better that regular fried chicken, which just bleeds out oil …

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Duvel 

that is quite interesting .

indeed , very interesting

thanks !

Texture ?

a very proper 

Schnitzel  has several layers  of texture 

but the work for that delicacy 

was done in the kitchen 

not your plate

my view

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Texture ?

a very proper 

Schnitzel  has several layers  of texture 

but the work for that delicacy 

was done in the kitchen 

not your plate

my view

True that !

• Like 1

Very, very last day. With just a few hours to wander around we dropped by the Hacke‘sche Höfe, a restored historic landmark. Beautiful to see and wander around, but not so much to shop, actually …

7EEA7A16-FA7E-4827-B39B-8443899C5AC3.thumb.jpeg.ef8d7d0f4bc1dc28fb27851840ab601d.jpeg

19D1DB04-A74C-4980-9984-68B8E3BFE9CD.thumb.jpeg.9861b93f45776e5523db2f6c7991924c.jpeg

8F3A2114-F14B-4AC1-9853-2163CB494427.thumb.jpeg.295d8a0c9b34b8627d09e314b1c0f6cd.jpeg

C0558333-6F2C-404D-A645-36EAEE1320DC.thumb.jpeg.2bc6224c8c0797df8213539fd0fbef68.jpeg

2EAD75EC-54E4-4E1C-B2DB-02A5F1126EAF.thumb.jpeg.3d14a4af15c07da280ca88fae5b0b24d.jpeg

Before returning to the train station, I pressured the family to get a farewell snack at a local Vietnamese …

Spring rolls (fresh) …

007A0F49-472B-4C3A-A8BF-B5116ACF839C.thumb.jpeg.163a57b93abc55ca82126a2be83c97c7.jpeg

And fried …

03619424-EAF9-4B07-B6AF-CED1040DBEBF.thumb.jpeg.d4b3e42e5bf3900f35539fb876d86a93.jpeg

Pho (ish) …

DB175A41-25D8-4E9B-970B-329B6FAE84BB.thumb.jpeg.19d3cc8909baefebe76492be7fc10384.jpeg

Duck with peanut sauce 

D8B642C4-EE52-4CA0-9846-7908D8421653.thumb.jpeg.b33b343c906220f0a1ee97c634e7d52d.jpeg

This time the train ride went smooth … I had purchased some extra meatball sandwiches, which the little one and me enjoyed …

F0D906C7-AA04-41D7-97DC-4A05F725C5BB.thumb.jpeg.4a37dc68d4597e2eac161135ee37bb00.jpeg

A38821CB-0F32-46B9-B5D9-1B03984A904B.thumb.jpeg.e589177252d17a536ffc0552ec65ee1e.jpeg

And while he was having an Orangina, I enjoyed a lovely Jameson Crested from an IKEA plastic cup proper …

E789C194-12B5-444F-94D4-D7A4709AF944.thumb.jpeg.7bdef7b1c0231832d29a07c5b6ef67fe.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

@Duvel 

thank you for taking the time 

to sahre

esp. for me

the '' on the way to food '

pics 

stunning 

as is all the food.

imagine 

1/2 a day 

on that bike

as a reasonable 

Speed !

just saying

A very small

''USA"

Mars Bar

or in the olden days :

350 cals

35 mins on the treadmill

at 20 % ++ incline

at 35 Mins ?

bake is better

more opportunities 

to see things to

check out

and enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful mini-blog, Duvel!  I've never been to Berlin. Your travelogue hit all the right notes and the diverse cuisine was most enjoyable. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

19 hours ago, Duvel said:

Fried chicken is a concept that has never really caught on here. Sure, we have KFC, but it is not really that popular. If I take my parents at the quintessential German couple, the issue with fried chicken is the (multitude of tiny) bones and the greasiness. It is a perception thing, of course, as you might have noticed German food isn’t exactly lean either. Yet, a proper Schnitzel will alwys be perceived better than anything from a KFC bucket. Chicken McNuggets, however, are popular as they do not have bones and their coating conceals the frying medium better that regular fried chicken, which just bleeds out oil …

I agree on the bones.  When I fry chicken is is invariably boned thighs without the skin (ala Thomas Keller). Doing it skinless keeps it crispy and the breading adhered to the meat.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you, Duvel! Watching this thread is like I'm being there.. I'm living in Eastern Europe and I was in Berlin only once at the age of 14 (now I'm 23) when I was at swimming competition introducing my country at the international arena. These photos made me a bit nostalgic...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1