Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EZtemper silk troubleshooting


Dark side
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello! after reading everyone's glowing reviews I finally ordered an EZtemper, and though I am still very excited, I haven't yet dialed it in and was hoping for some guidance. 

I've tried a couple different cocoa butters, one from a local distributor, and the other Belcolade pellets from Chococolat-Chocolat. I realise they may have different set point sweet spots. 

To focus on the Belcolade pelllets, at this point I have my EZ as low as 33.1, and the silk is very melted (pourable even), but yet grainy, and doesn't seem to be doing the trick of tempering.  I've tried melting/cooling/remelting and also ensured my fan is on 🤦‍♀️ (thank you @Kerry Beal). I was expecting a smooth, frosting-like consistency. Am I looking for the wrong consistency?

-Does anyone use this Belcolade cocoa butter? What set point are you using? 

-Should I continue trying lower set points 33.1?

-Does anyone use grainy silk sucessfully?

-Should the little black hole in the top of the unit be plugged?? is this my issue? ahhhhhh help!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grainy likely means old with form VI transformation.  Try melting it to 60C and letting completely set at room temp. That might work if it’s not too far gone.  using it grainy might show little lumps in the chocolate but it will temper. 
 

Then down another 0.2 or 0.3 and creep up as tolerated. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dark side said:

Thanks Kerry, I will try melting it to that temp and cooling before trying again. 

Is the little black plug meant to be in or out during operation or does it matter?

In/closed - it’s a port to check temperature inside machine,

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had grainy texture with a couple different brands of cocoa butter. I get the best results if I melt and temper the cocoa butter myself then pour it out flat on parchment to set. Then I break it up and put it in the ez temper and it comes out perfectly silky. It’s an annoying extra step, but well worth the results.

Edited by Haley (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2021 at 8:34 PM, Haley said:

I have had grainy texture with a couple different brands of cocoa butter. I get the best results if I melt and temper the cocoa butter myself then pour it out flat on parchment to set. Then I break it up and put it in the ez temper and it comes out perfectly silky. It’s an annoying extra step, but well worth the results.

That is a real pain! You should be able to source some fresh cb and just put it in. I have two EZ's and I have two different sourced CB's. I have to use different set points until the old one is used up.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 6:59 AM, Chocolot said:

That is a real pain! You should be able to source some fresh cb and just put it in. I have two EZ's and I have two different sourced CB's. I have to use different set points until the old one is used up.

Which brands are you using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2021 at 7:34 PM, Haley said:

I have had grainy texture with a couple different brands of cocoa butter. I get the best results if I melt and temper the cocoa butter myself then pour it out flat on parchment to set. Then I break it up and put it in the ez temper and it comes out perfectly silky. It’s an annoying extra step, but well worth the results.

Thanks Haley, I will be trying Kerry's suggestion first and then if it doesnt work, tempering is next!

I was really hoping for the reliable convenience factor. I'd so love to dial it in!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2021 at 11:06 AM, Dark side said:

Which brands are you using?

The softer one is from Mexico. The firmer one from Africa. I buy 20kilo blocks. It’s a pain, but much cheaper. I chip off a chunk and melt then put in deli containers. Put the deli container in EZ. 

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chocolot said:

The softer one is from Mexico. The firmer one from Africa. I buy 20kilo blocks. It’s a pain, but much cheaper. I chip off a chunk and melt then put in deli containers. Put the deli container in EZ. 

Wow Ruth!!! How many pounds of chocolate do you go thru in a year?

 

I'm beyond thrilled that the cacao butter drops that I have bought have all worked with my EZTemper straight out of the box. Each time I get a new batch of cocoa butter I wonder if I'm going to have to melt it or change the temperature on my EZTemper. I'm sure it will happen at some point.

Edited by curls (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2021 at 2:46 PM, curls said:

Wow Ruth!!! How many pounds of chocolate do you go thru in a year?

 

I'm beyond thrilled that the cacao butter drops that I have bought have all worked with my EZTemper straight out of the box. Each time I get a new batch of cocoa butter I wonder if I'm going to have to melt it or change the temperature on my EZTemper. I'm sure it will happen at some point.

 

The first block, I bought for a real bargain. I thought it would last me the rest of my life. It didn't! I'm pretty sure this one will.

  • Haha 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...