• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Searzall Pro Edition - Anyone getting one?

andrewk512

Just a follow-up Just got done playing with the Pro. It's awesome. TOTALLY great redesign inside and out. The screening, spreaders, heat insulation is so superior to the V1. Heat generation, spread and control as I compared the two - definitely shows off the work in the re-design. It's really heads above the V1 IMHO. Yes I did disassemble mine to have a look at things :wink:

I see that the V1 are going for around $52 on Amazon:

Amazon

Here's the Torch and hose kit I use:

Hose With Belt Clip

Torch

And here's the set up I use for my refillable 1lb propane tanks:

Flame King

FK on Amazon

Edited by rbenash (log)
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Raamo said:

I remember I backed this once in a while.  I'm guessing this means soon I'll get a box :)

Interesting I was getting updates all along since I donated 11/5/21. I was contributer 582. You should have been seeing some communication if you actually purchased one. I just got another update about a week ago for example.  I had been getting them periodically from when I made my contribution, but my contribution was to actually purchase one. 

You might want to check up here:

Searzall Indiegogo

image.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbenash said:

Interesting I was getting updates all along since I donated 11/5/21. I was contributer 582. You should have been seeing some communication if you actually purchased one. I just got another update about a week ago for example.  I had been getting them periodically from when I made my contribution, but my contribution was to actually purchase one. 

You might want to check up here:

Searzall Indiegogo

image.gif

Interessting I've got mail in past but not this time.

I found the OG mail: 

Indiegogo contribution #449 receipt for Searzall Pro

I found a tracking link on inidigogo after using a link from my email... it's in the USA and should be here soon.

Edited by Raamo
Update (log)

16 hours ago, Raamo said:

Interessting I've got mail in past but not this time.

I found the OG mail: 

Indiegogo contribution #449 receipt for Searzall Pro

I found a tracking link on inidigogo after using a link from my email... it's in the USA and should be here soon.

Cool, you should have received it or have it soon I guess, if not I would get on them. Good luck.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:47 PM, Raamo said:

I remember I backed this once in a while.  I'm guessing this means soon I'll get a box :)

I got my Pro days before I got my tracking email. Love it, it’s a beast.

Put my OG up on eBay.

I never saw any need to go to MAPP Pro based on the temp ratings. If I was using this thing all the time, every day - maybe. But the bottom line is burn temp. MAPP burns a bit hotter than propane. I used to have a MAPP (yep the real stuff) tank and used it for sweating/soldering during plumbing work. It was great in that it got things (pipe fittings) hot quicker than propane, but I was working all day at it. 5300 degrees vs 3600. But MAPP is dead. We just have MAPP PRO now.

So at 3600 (propane) degrees vs 3730 deg (MAPP Pro) It would be silly to see any advantage.

If I had access to true MAPP I would definitely give it a thought 🙂

• Like 1

Here's the handy way to use your torch if you are not trying to brown out a whole roast or running it all day. Keeps it handy and not a big thing. I have two of those cylinders. Swap out as needed. Else pick up the 1 lb can and use that. Makes it more like a hand tool, etc.

20230205_053927.jpg

20230205_053938.jpg

Edited by rbenash
grammer (log)
  • Like 1

I received my Searzall Pro pack. It was supposed to come with Booker and Dax’s “proprietary torch head” but it just came with an off the shelf BlueFire torch head. Is that what others have gotten?

Haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

*Edit. I guess I should have just checked their indiegogo page. "We are working with the same parent manufacturer as Blue Fire. We tested a number of slight variations to find the best model. The original intention was for original branding and packaging, but that would have caused further delays."

Edited by rob1234 (log)

• 3 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 4:55 PM, hotsaucerman said:

would love to hear about + see what yall are using yours for. so far i've done some melted cheese on chips/sandwiches, searing steaks post sous vide, and charring peppers for salsa (this last one is SO much nicer than getting the broiler going imo)

Pretty much everything you have done. But my recent change to add that little 1/4 lb tank shown above made it so much easier to use. I find I grab for it more often than when using the large 1lb tank. I was an early adopter of the original Searzall and always used it with a 1lb tank. That said I've been able to keep it close by and pick it up and use it for short tasks much more often.

Eggs - touch up your fried eggs instead of flipping. Minimize risk in breakage. 

BBQ - just used it to prep rib trim that I then placed in my BBQ beans recipe before placing on the smoker. Also touched up my ribs before serving rather than cranking up the broiler or letting them sit on high temp for awhile in the grill.

The 1/4 lb tank I show is good for about 8 minutes of constant use. I have two in case I need a quick change or just load up the 1 lb tank. If you aren't using the Flameking system to refill bottles - have a look. I use it for all my small tank needs rather than throwing empties in the landfill. Their system is pro - works great and very reliable.

The new Searzall is a great improvement, but the original is still great, especially if you have some spare screens, but frankly never wore mine out.

Edited by rbenash (log)
  • Like 2