• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Searzall Pro Edition - Anyone getting one?

andrewk512

Booker and Dax is kickstarting their new Searzall pro edition and I'm wondering whether I should take this opportunity to get one. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/searzall-pro

I heard mixed reviews about the initial searzall, from what I remember, for steak, it's beaten out by other methods of searing (like searing on a coal chimney). I can't really be bothered to light an entire chimney of coal to sear a steak though and there have been a few times this year where I have felt my cheap electric range and broiler have been seriously underpowered (renting and cannot replace, but fixing that situation soon). I could see it being nice for quickly charring some vegetables, pineapple slices, touching up spots of suboptimally browned proteins, maybe a few other niche applications 

What do people think of their searzall now that it has been out a few years? Would a larger more powerful searzall be desired if you didn't own one?

• Like 1

I can't properly answer your question, not having a Searsall Mk I. I'm tempted but will resist.

It's basically a one-trick pony and a solution to a problem I don't have. I can cook a great steak on a grill and can sous vide lesser quality meat and then finish on a grill. I have a good enough burner that attaches to a butane canister for creme brulee.

I'm not much taken by the new palladium gizmoish palaver and suspect Dave Arnold might be full of BS.

No for me. But go get one and report.

Edited by FlashJack
typo (log)
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Except that t his one and its cylinder look too big for most drawers

Well, that's one way to encourage more consistent use I suppose. "A feature, not a bug"?

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm curious. Dave Arnold is not full of B.S. ... I've been following his escapades for years and am indebted for quite a bit of useful (if sometimes esoteric) teachings. But the thing is large, and I don't have room for one-trick ponies, unless it's a really impressive trick. I also wish it were cheaper. Version 1 just looked too slow to be useful in real life. If this one's much better, I'll keep a cautious eye on it. 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

We use ours all the time to melt cheese, a task at which it is truly unsurpassed in my kitchen. We have a decent electric range and a toaster oven that both have broilers, and the Searzall craps all over them. That's about all we use it for, as we have multiple other ways to sear. I also don't tend to cook steaks sous vide. But if I did, and I lived in an apartment with no high output heat source and no ventilation, I'd use it all the time. If I could snap my fingers and turn my V1 into a V2, I certainly would.

The palladium coated screens aren't BS -- the very first version of the screens didn't have that coating and could burn out during heavy use. They figured that out and shipped new screens though. Having an extra internal screen to spread out the flame more in the pro seems like a real improvement. 

Dancing cheese:

http://www.instagram.com/tv/BwBEcfBAIIk/

http://www.instagram.com/p/CS7fAGIpaDa/

I take a little longer than is really necessary in the second video because I was focused on the camera and because the cheese slices were so thick. 

Edited by btbyrd
Instagram used to auto embed on this forum... huh. I guess it doesn't anymore. (log)
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, btbyrd said:

We use ours all the time to melt cheese, a task at which it is truly unsurpassed in my kitchen. We have a decent electric range and a toaster oven that both have broilers, and the Searzall craps all over them. That's about all we use it for, as we have multiple other ways to sear. I also don't tend to cook steaks sous vide. But if I did, and I lived in an apartment with no high output heat source and no ventilation, I'd use it all the time. If I could snap my fingers and turn my V1 into a V2, I certainly would.

The palladium coated screens aren't BS -- the very first version of the screens didn't have that coating and could burn out during heavy use. They figured that out and shipped new screens though. Having an extra internal screen to spread out the flame more in the pro seems like a real improvement. 

Dancing cheese:

http://www.instagram.com/tv/BwBEcfBAIIk/

http://www.instagram.com/p/CS7fAGIpaDa/

I take a little longer than is really necessary in the second video because I was focused on the camera and because the cheese slices were so thick. 

Makes me want to dig mine out of the drawer! xD

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I have the V1. I dig it. It works pretty well, I use it primarily for marshmallows for s’mores and for reheating pizza. I am looking forward to the pro due to MAPP use, should burn hotter/faster. Will be selling V1 if the pro delivers.

I didn't go in this direction

sometime ago

when it was discovered  that over tim

the scores that held the screen in place 

' fused ' to the device and it was very difficult to replace the sceen

after it , based on usage

' burnt out '  ie had holes in it from the heat

ect

wonder if they fixed that 

if its possible to fix

On 11/3/2021 at 6:23 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Makes me want to dig mine out of the drawer! xD

Do it! The cheese melting is so satisfying. My wife, who is a good cook but not really a gadget gal, gets into it without hesitation and Searzalls her burger cheese and breakfast sandwiches with gusto. Also good for shredded mozzarella over pasta.

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I didn't go in this direction

sometime ago

when it was discovered  that over tim

the scores that held the screen in place 

' fused ' to the device and it was very difficult to replace the sceen

after it , based on usage

' burnt out '  ie had holes in it from the heat

ect

wonder if they fixed that 

if its possible to fix

The palladium coated screens don't burn out. And I'm still running my original set of non-coated screens after six years and they show no signs of burning out. I do have a spare set, just in case. In the event that there are problems changing screens, the Booker and Dax support crew is very good. cdh on eGullet had problems with the screws and sent it in for repair and Dave fixed it for him.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

So...like...for lasagna?  Or...why?

Or meatballs. Or chicken/veal parm or whatever. Or gringofied low-brow spaghetti with red sauce topped with garbage low moisture shreds. Also good for cheesed-out garlic bread.

6 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It's an improvement over my Viking infra-red in-range broiler?

I haven't used one and infrared broilers are much better than lower-end ones. But the Searzall is better than the broilers on any of the mid-tier electric and gas ranges I've used, and there are certain applications (like searing foie gras) where I'm doubtful any standard broiler could replicate the Searzall's results. And having that power in the palm of your hand is something special compared to conventional broilers. It's a much more precise tool for delivering heat where you want it (and none where you don't).

• Thanks 1

Reading the thread, it's probably something I want but not really the next kitchen tool for me. I'm anxiously watching the Indiegogo campaign to see if they make it, I would throw in the cash for 1-2 searzall pros+torches if need be to support the 400+ hours that Dave Arnold's voice has occupied my ears

1 hour ago, andrewk512 said:

Reading the thread, it's probably something I want but not really the next kitchen tool for me. I'm anxiously watching the Indiegogo campaign to see if they make it, I would throw in the cash for 1-2 searzall pros+torches if need be to support the 400+ hours that Dave Arnold's voice has occupied my ears

I hear you, fellow Low Quality Individual.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Or gringofied low-brow spaghetti with red sauce topped with garbage low moisture shreds

This is what I was kinda trying to find out.  I know no gringos who do this…is it a southern thing?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

22 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It's an improvement over my Viking infra-red in-range broiler?

Without having used the Searzall, I can imagine advantages and disadvantages. I think your big broiler will be better for most big jobs. It has more total horsepower and spreads its heat out over a wider area, and so will go much faster. 

If you often do little things, like croque monsieurs, or sous-vide scallops, it will be faster and easier to use the searzall than to fire up a broiler. You also have more control with the little guy, because it's in your hand, on the countertop, and gives instant feedback. 

The thing with big bad infrared oven broilers is that they're hard to be precise with, unless you get down on your hands and knees ready to pounce when the food hits the sweet spot. You quickly understand why restaurant salamanders are mounted at eye level and don't have doors. 

• Like 3

Notes from the underbelly

The Searzall Pro is compatible with MAPP gas. And with MAPP gas, this Searzall Pro is MUCH faster than the original.

eh, what? MAPP gas hasn't been readily available in over a decade. lol

On 11/12/2021 at 2:29 AM, jaw said:

eh, what? MAPP gas hasn't been readily available in over a decade. lol

They undboutedly mean "MAP PRO", or however they style it, which is propylene (AKA propene (not propane)).  It's maybe 10% hotter, and has a little higher energy  content.  Not worth the price premium over propane for most uses. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am going to be that loser that waits till it comes to market now that everyone has funded it. Crossing my fingers for cheaper shipping ($30 USD and no combined shipping when I requested to buy 2 units...). I have also been burned lately with 20%+ import fees on everything I am buying from the US ($20 on a cookbook, ~$200 on my blast chiller, 100% import fee on plates from Korin) 

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 2

I have one of the originals that I use and like.  I use it regularly, and think it's worth the asking price.

That being said, I think the best way to think about the Searzall is that it's a finishing tool.  Don't expect it to sear 4 steaks in time to serve them all together.  But it will melt cheese, toast bread and caramelize sugar pretty fast.  And I do use it on steaks, chops and roasts to even out sears and browning, get a jump on the "up" sides of tings, solidify/crisp fried eggs, etc.  I think it's a versatile tool.  But it has a high accident potential.

If I didn't already have v1.0, I would definitely get this new model--it looks like the improvements are worthwhile.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here's a bump since Covid stalled everything, wreaked havoc on the supply chain and production in China.

I'm long time owner of the V1 since they came out as well as the B&D "steak decorator" 

https://modernistpantry.com/products/booker-and-dax-steak-decorator.html

I've used it quite a bit for a home user for everything from finishing off whole roasts, steaks, burgers, chicken, etc etc. I love using it on the Steak Decorator too as I simple set it on the down draft vent on my vintage Jenn-Air SEG 196. Turn on the downdraft vent and the up draft vent above and get a great exhaust without setting off smoke alarms. I can spin easily as I work the torch. The decorator is also GREAT as a cake/pastry decorator and other similar use.

Definitely extra handy for when I'm using the smoker or grill (I burn charcoal). Just simple to use that the chimney method for charring steaks IMHO.

My only complaint is I have to remember to use it.

I never had the burnout issues with V1, but it's got getting heavy use.

I wanted the new V2 because of the larger size, better distribution, cut out on the cage, better angles, etc. I probably won't bother with MAPP Pro as I don't really see the value but will probably give a yellow cylinder a try. I like refilling the camp size bottles of propane. I like the squat size and typically just hanging the off my belt with the chain attachement that came with the searzall torch kit years ago. Don't have to think about tipping or walking away and forgetting to pickit up. Easier to move from on spot to the other expecially if doing multiple cooks.

Most of the time I like it much better than using the broiler in the SEG just because it leaves that cavity available for other things, also take so much less time to heat up and use.

I also love the sound while I'm using it 🙂

They had LONG delays and just started actually shipping a few weeks ago. I just received my pro a few days ago and love the new design and build quality. We'll see how it goes. I may just pass of the V1 to my son rather than try to sell it. There are going to be a ton of them out for resale. I have spare screens for it as well.

Edited by rbenash (log)
  • Like 3