• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you call this bonbon filling?

Corny

It was just one of those days today!

I was (again) trying to do too much at the same time, and made a filling for molded  chocolates that I am pretty sure I’ve not made before… My plan was to make pistachio praliné (just pistachio nuts and caramelised sugar).

I ended up making the praliné, and then I mixed it with white chocolate. So I ended up with a paste consisting of one third of each ingredient (pistachios, sugar, white chocolate). And then I didn’t think about it before it was already piped in the shells. 

Normally, I either make varieties of praliné with just nuts and sugar, or I make gianduja with just nuts and chocolate. 

Anyway, time for bed now. Looking forward to wake up and try one tomorrow. I believe I will find it too sweet, but we’ll see. 

I agree with pastrygirl.  The strict definition of gianduja (hazelnuts + chocolate) has been expanded in most people's minds to encompass anything with ground nuts and chocolate.  Or "praline gianduja" when you add caramelized sugar.  I use pistachio praline gianduja (using white chocolate, as the other choices overwhelmed the pistachio flavor) whenever I want more of a pistachio flavor, since I think adding cream to make a ganache (as Ewald Notter does in his recipe) dulls the pistachio flavor.  For almond praline gianduja I use milk chocolate, and for pecan I like Valrhona's Orelys.  I don't have a melanger, so I buy Cacao Barry's hazelnut praline paste and Fiddyment Farms pistachio paste, and I make my almond and pecan paste by grinding the toasted nuts in a food processor, then adding separately caramelized sugar (that way I can get the sugar finer).  It isn't as good as a melanger, but I don't mind the slight crunch still left from the food processor grinding.

• Thanks 1

Gianduja something yes. They're working to make gianduja protected though, but I would be surprise if that protection is for more than Europe - as it should be only hazelnuts from Piemonte that makes gianduja. Europe have some weird stuff like that. You can't call cheese feta unless it's manufactured in Greece etc.