• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Howdy everyone! Croatia here

Dejan

Hello everyone!

My name is Dejan, I am 31 and I am from Croatia.

I enjoy cooking, but on a an amateur level, I am far professional chef. Cooking is just a passion of mine that I truly enjoy. It's an awesome adventures with billion of things to explore and try out. All of you already know that though :D.

I did notice that Croatian dishes are not mentioned on the forum. Would anyone be interested to learn something about our traditional cuisine? I would be more than happy to start a new topic about that :).

Cheers,
Dejan

• Like 4

Amateur cook and food enthusiast.
Follow me on my website: https://heaventaste.org

Welcome. Always interest here in something different, My father was born near Varazdin but left at 18. They were poor so his memories are very simple dishes. There is an "Elsewhere in Europe" section here or maybe post some of your meals in the Lunch or Dinner topics. See ya soon :)

https://forums.egullet.org/forum/323-elsewhere-in-europe-cooking-amp-baking/

• Like 1

Hi, @Dejan!  Welcome to eGullet!  I'm glad you found us.  I'd bet that most of us would be thrilled to hear about the food that you cook and what it is like to live in Croatia.  I know that, with what the world has been through the last couple of years, I'm starved for travel and new experiences and I'm sure everyone else is, too!  I'm really looking forward to your contributions.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!

I am glad that there is interest for cuisines from smaller countries. I live in the mainland so most of the recipes will be from my region, but I do know how to make some traditional dishes from the seaside as well.

I'll post something in "elsewhere in europe" sub-forum over the weekend. Looking forward to all the recipes that I'll find here :)

• Like 3

Amateur cook and food enthusiast.
Follow me on my website: https://heaventaste.org

I spent only a brief time in Zagreb, but I had two lovely weeks in Croatia under Marshal Tito.  Particularly the seafood was memorable, and the wines.  I can't begin to remember all the names.  What we call Zinfandel in the United Stares is genetically Yugoslavian (there is also some of the same grape in Italy).

My most memorable culinary image was a post World War II Marshal Plan cooking oil container being used as a garden planter outside a little rural Croatian cottage.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had two lovely weeks in Croatia under Marshal Tito.  Particularly the seafood was memorable, and the wines. 

I spent time there in Tito's time, too. 1970 or '71. All I really remember, like you, is the seafood and wine.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto