• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Liver Love

liuzhou

On 11/1/2021 at 8:12 PM, liuzhou said:

As posted in the Dinner 2021 topic - Chicken liver fried rice. Garlic and  ginger. Diced celtuce. Chicken livers. Scallions. Rice. Shaoxing wine. That'll do.

clfrcu.thumb.jpg.3f968f48c132a2bc237cbd4bb0a9e7a4.jpg

Oh, this looks yummylicious! I'm gonna give it a try.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

I usually encounter a small amount of liver when prepping a whole chicken for later use.    Most often it is quickly seared in a little olive oil, maybe with a small amount of diced onion or shallot  and eaten as the cooks treat 

Switch to preparing whole rabbits instead - now thats a good liver to meat ratio (ate rabbits alcoholics ?!). Just from a cooks treat perspective …

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Duvel said:

Switch to preparing whole rabbits instead - now thats a good liver to meat ratio (ate rabbits alcoholics ?!). Just from a cooks treat perspective …

In my twenties I lived on a communal farm. I know, I can't believe it either. The property was owned by a jovial porky chap who grew up in Argentina, also on a farm. He was into rabbits. And yes, the liver was good and so were the kidneys. Those days I probably didn't know the function of a kidney or a liver. Now I'm squeamish about touching raw chicken breast, let alone anyone's liver, etc. But the kidneys were extremely popular with my friends on the farm.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 1:02 AM, liuzhou said:

From this I gather they are not cheap now. How much do you pay? I pay the equivalent of $0.63 USD per ½ lb. Very cheap.

Sorry I never answered this. Today at Safeway they're $ 3.50 a pound, at Fred Meyer $2.90 a pound, and apparently not available at QFC -- these are the three major grocers in the Seattle area. I had to look it up because I don't normally buy chicken livers. 

• Thanks 1

Bought some at Whole Foods on Monday for $4.99/lb. Organic, free range, yada yada. Intact and nicely trimmed. 

Walmart Neighborhood Market is usually ~ $1.99/lb for Tyson or the like. They often look like they were removed from the bird with a roto-tiller.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Last night I raided our freezer for some chicken livers that I purchased from a local farm. Livers are in the fridge defrosting and I’m planning to make a small batch of chopped liver this weekend. Curious to see what I have when they defrost; my first time with chicken livers from this farm. I like a lot of their other proteins.

• Like 1