• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with Braunschweiger?

Johntodd

35 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

but the people who wrote  the link apparently don't call the Mettwurst style Braunschweiger.

Yes, they do. 

My apologies, but maybe your German might not completely up to the task in this matter.

The linked text says:

Braunschweiger is a spreadable smoked sausage made from soft, coarse pork, with and without garlic.

But the Knackwurst, a finer, light spread sausage, is also a Brunswick specialty. As a rule, however, the latter is not referred to as "Braunschweiger".

In the German food law only the addition "Mettwurst" describes the "Braunschweiger".

In Austria, the Braunschweiger is a boiled sausage. In the USA, on the other hand, a smoked, spreadable liver sausage is known as Braunschweiger.

I hope this translation is unambiguous.

As an anecdote: (German) Braunschweiger is the favorite sausage of my sister. We hail from Lower Saxony (about 100 km south of Brunswick) and my parents go at great lengths to get my sister her favorite food when we have a gathering (just as I get „my“ Mett everytime i go home). I have a rather good idea what Braunschweiger is comprised of, lookes like, tastes like …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

my german is just fine, thank you for the insult.

I'm done.

It was not meant as an insult. I simply think you may have missed the reference of only „Knackwurst“ not being referred to as Braunschweiger …

Regardless, this thread was about the US variety and I think there might be still more ideas to get the OP inspired.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Regardless, this thread was about the US variety and I think there might be still more ideas to get the OP inspired.

I think for us in the US looking at our most common offering it is helpful to think of it as a livery finely ground sausage product. Looking to SE Asia - steamed with a sturdy green and rice. I'd be happy. Something sweet/sour alongside like quick pickles. The earlier suggested banh mi use struck me a multi-purpose - covers the rather bland amost bologna like product plus the pate. I've had the house made steamed stuff - boring on its own but in good company  enjoyable :)

• Like 3

A friend inherited some Braunschweiger and gifted some. This was made in Kentucky by Blue Grass Quality Meats. Today I had a sandwich, possibly 1/4" thick (65mm) on white whole wheat bread. I love liverwurst or pâté usually, but this was quite salty. As a general rule, I don't eat much salt.

Did I paste the Braunschweiger too thick?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 9:15 PM, TdeV said:

A friend inherited some Braunschweiger and gifted some. This was made in Kentucky by Blue Grass Quality Meats. Today I had a sandwich, possibly 1/4" thick (65mm) on white whole wheat bread. I love liverwurst or pâté usually, but this was quite salty. As a general rule, I don't eat much salt.

Did I paste the Braunschweiger too thick?

The (thing labeled as) Braunschweiger that I buy is  not salty at all.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:35 AM, Johntodd said:

Hi!

I have a bit of this stuff, and I love it. But I'm getting bored just eating it on crackers with mustard.

What else can be done with this delicious delicacy?

I am an experienced home cook.

Thanks!

-John

I find US liverwurst and Braunschweiger don't cook well. The meat emulsion breaks down and its unappealing.

Good Danish bread such as rugbrød, lots of butter, a very generous layer of Braun Schweiger, some crispy bacon. Or skip the bacon and add pickled beets. Serve open face with a glass of aquavit and a good beer chaser.  

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

it's an Unter Bayern thang . . .

I'm a mutt. My mom was Volksdeutsch. I'd try it though I prefer a good Leberwurst - preferably mushroom or onion.