• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Captain said:

I suggest that, instead of quoting Wikipedia at me, you do some research among marine biologists and aquaculturists. There is a good reason why Wikipedia is banned as a source in most universities and scientific journals world wide.

There are plenty of reliable sources  available. Wikipedia is not one of them.

In fact it is self-contradictory.

Shrimp and prawn are types of seafood that are consumed worldwide. Although shrimp and prawns belong to different suborders of Decapoda, they are very similar in appearance and the terms are often used interchangeably in commercial farming and wild fisheries. A distinction is drawn in recent aquaculture literature, which increasingly uses the term "prawn" only for the freshwater forms of palaemonids and "shrimp" for the marine penaeids.

Where does that come from? Yes, a different Wikipedia entry.

Here is a good summary of the differences.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Captain said:

I suggest that, instead of quoting Wikipedia at me, you do some research among marine biologists and aquaculturists. There is a good reason why Wikipedia is banned as a source in most universities and scientific journals world wide.

There are plenty of reliable sources  available. Wikipedia is not one of them.

In fact it is self-contradictory.

Shrimp and prawn are types of seafood that are consumed worldwide. Although shrimp and prawns belong to different suborders of Decapoda, they are very similar in appearance and the terms are often used interchangeably in commercial farming and wild fisheries. A distinction is drawn in recent aquaculture literature, which increasingly uses the term "prawn" only for the freshwater forms of palaemonids and "shrimp" for the marine penaeids.

Where does that come from? Yes, a different Wikipedia entry.