• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1885124019_mussels2.thumb.jpg.cb09b2acdd884866396756da99408ac5.jpg

I don’t see 青口螺 (qīng kǒu luó, literally ‘green mouth snail’), Mytilus edulis, Mussels in supermarkets very often but when I do I always buy some. More often, I eat them in restaurants or from night market seafood stalls.

They tend not to be common in tropical waters, so most here come from the cooler north-eastern waters off China. They are extensively farmed. 乳山 (rǔ shān), a city in Shandong province is famous in China for its mussels. I can buy their mussels online, but have to buy a minimum of 2.5 kg (approx 5½ lbs) at a time and delivery costs more than the molluscs – not so convenient for someone living alone.

The locals cook them strangely to my western mind. I prefer the simple European styles - moules marinière or moules-frites. Also, although it is highly atypical for me, but I do reluctantly admit to liking the Cantonese* favourite, mussels in soup with fermented black beans. However, I prefer my own take on the combination, cooking them broth-less with the black beans.

mussels.thumb.jpg.94263329178b997ccc3dcb08e7458ac9.jpg

Mussels with Fermented Black Beans

The locals nearly always shuck them and grill them covered in minced garlic. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't want it every time.

809940792_grilledmussels.thumb.jpg.e789cdc511e36f464e1d79e1358ba740.jpg

Grilled Mussels with Garlic

*My least favourite type of regional Chinese cuisine.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1885124019_mussels2.thumb.jpg.cb09b2acdd884866396756da99408ac5.jpg

I don’t see 青口螺 (qīng kǒu luó, literally ‘green mouth snail’), Mytilus edulis, Mussels in supermarkets very often but when I do I always buy some. More often, I eat them in restaurants or from night market seafood stalls.

They tend not to be common in tropical waters, so most here come from the cooler north-eastern waters off China. They are extensively farmed. 乳山 (rǔ shān), a city in Shandong province is famous in China for its mussels. I can buy their mussels online, but have to buy a minimum of 2.5 kg (approx 5½ lbs) at a time and delivery costs more than the molluscs – not so convenient for someone living alone.

The locals cook them strangely to my western mind. I prefer the simple European styles - moules marinière or moules-frites. Also, although it is highly atypical for me, but I do reluctantly admit to liking the Cantonese* favourite, mussels in soup with fermented black beans. However, I prefer my own take on the combination, cooking them broth-less with the black beans.

mussels.thumb.jpg.94263329178b997ccc3dcb08e7458ac9.jpg

Mussels with Fermented Black Beans

The locals narly always shuck them and grill them covered in minced garlic. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't want it every time.

809940792_grilledmussels.thumb.jpg.e789cdc511e36f464e1d79e1358ba740.jpg

Grilled Mussels with Garlic

*My least favourite type of regional Chinese cuisine.