• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sfoglini Products

Katie Meadow

Just curious....I don't think I have ever had this American made brand, Sfoglini. How does it compare with Rustichella D'abruzzo? How does it compare to more common store brands like DeCecco? I use mostly those two brands.

When it comes to pasta shapes, I guess I don't consider the amount of sauce that clings to it to be the main criterion; more is not always better. I did look at that video upthread. I love that woman! But all four of her trials with cascatelli looked to have more sauce than I prefer. Cascatelli looks like it would be a fun shape for kids. Who wouldn't want to be Steph Curry playing with his mouth guard?

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 2:41 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Just curious....I don't think I have ever had this American made brand, Sfoglini. How does it compare with Rustichella D'abruzzo? How does it compare to more common store brands like DeCecco? I use mostly those two brands.

When it comes to pasta shapes, I guess I don't consider the amount of sauce that clings to it to be the main criterion; more is not always better. I did look at that video upthread. I love that woman! But all four of her trials with cascatelli looked to have more sauce than I prefer. Cascatelli looks like it would be a fun shape for kids. Who wouldn't want to be Steph Curry playing with his mouth guard?

The Whole Foods near me recently started carrying a small number of Sfoglini products. They're very high quality, on a par with the best premium pasta brands. It's kind of hard to compare them though because the only shapes available are Reginetti/Mafaldine and Trumpets, and I haven't seen other brands offering these shapes in my local market. They have beet fusilli too, but I haven't tried it. But what I have tried has an excellent flavor and texture. They're organic too, not that I especially care about that. But it's a high quality product all around.

They have a bunch of interesting pastas available on their website using different types of wheat and grain, and I'd be willing to try most of them on the strength of their other offerings. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

The Whole Foods near me recently started carrying a small number of Sfoglini products.

Ah-ha, thanks for that. I just added a pound of trumpet to my WF amazon order. That cart has been open for weeks. I avoid hitting the trigger always. I've used it just a couple times. (They seem to be out-of-stock on the few items I ordered to begin with. Only to find out after delivery....)

I would order today from the Sfoglini website if they were not out of stock on some of the pasta shapes I like. Maybe before the holidays they will have better stock. I bet their basic spaghetti is great. I do like the attention they are getting from the 'new' shape. I do like organic quality and local US, especially NYState made. My pantry is pasta thin at the moment so I'll bite soon. One of our favorite shapes...

I've been buying Garofalo recently. I'll up my game no problem with Sfoglini.

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 3.26.44 PM.png

IMG_1290.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btbyrd said:

The Whole Foods near me recently started carrying a small number of Sfoglini products. They're very high quality, on a par with the best premium pasta brands. It's kind of hard to compare them though because the only shapes available are Reginetti/Mafaldine and Trumpets, and I haven't seen other brands offering these shapes in my local market. They have beet fusilli too, but I haven't tried it. But what I have tried has an excellent flavor and texture. They're organic too, not that I especially care about that. But it's a high quality product all around.

They have a bunch of interesting pastas available on their website using different types of wheat and grain, and I'd be willing to try most of them on the strength of their other offerings. 

Thanks, I'll start looking out for it in the various shops we frequent.

• Like 1