• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aged beef fat...ever use it?

gfweb

No, but I've saved the dry trimmings from dry aged beef and frozen it, thinking maybe it could be used for something. Maybe steeping them in hot water or melted butter to infuse some of that funk. Haven't tried yet. 

Odd that they're selling tenderloin fat. There isn't much fat there, and people don't usually age tenderloin separately (if you did there'd be hardly anything left). 

Notes from the underbelly

54 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Odd that they're selling tenderloin fat. There isn't much fat there, and people don't usually age tenderloin separately (if you did there'd be hardly anything left). 

I thought that too.  It sounds good  anyway.

I've used the fat off of strip steaks to fry stuff in eg potatoes.  It was OK, nothing special. 

It wasn't aged fat though.

Schmaltz is in general better to me.

It's got to depend on how aged it is...

Last time I rendered down some properly aged fat (from a sirloin, I think it was 100 days), the kitchen quickly filled up with that blue cheese/urinous kidney stank. IIRC, I only used that fat to sear more beef. I'm not sure I could use it in anything else, it was way too strong.

• Like 2