• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does anyone have any experience with Victorinox steak knives?

Kim Shook

My steak knives are useless - even sharpened they just tear the meat up.  They are, I assume, Laguiole knock-offs.  We have some grocery store junkers that work better and stay sharp better than the pretty ones.  I am wanting to put a set on my wishlist and I know I don't want someone to spend a ton on them.  My most recent knife purchase was a very reasonably priced Victorinox fileting knife which I am loving to use.  I was hoping someone would have some experience with the steak knives and be able to steer me towards a good set - or, at least, away from a bad set.  Amazon has a wide range of prices on the Victorinox and I'm a bit lost.  Thank you!!!

We have this inexpensive set (polyproylene handle, serrated edge, pointed tip) for "everyday" use. If I were doing it again, I'd probably get the ones with the rounded tip, but ours work OK. Not the best, obviously, but OK. We use them for chicken or pork paillards, larger shrimp, stuff like that. For serious use (e.g., a ribeye) we have a set of four Shun steak knives.

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have a set of Gerber steak knives, circa 1970.  I was never thrilled with them.  I am not sure they are still made.  Googling just now I see used sets on offer but the price will make you bleed.

What I actually cut with at the table and love is a Wusthof Cordon Bleu 4.5 inch utility knife.  Sadly the Wusthof is discontinued.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Back in the early eighties we would steal the steak knives from the 99s restaurants in the area. And their sweet pepper relish that was on the table. Both were good quality.

Then I managed a similar themed restaurant and started seeing the shrink of the same type of goods. I could only blame myself.

• Haha 2

I have several Victorinox knives, including the inexpensive set of 6 "Swiss classic" Steak knives that I actually use as utility knives for tasks that are usually for paring knives.

They take an edge well with just one of the "pull through" hand held sharpeners and slice cleanly through just about everything, even hard cheeses.  

Most recently I used one for mincing raw chicken gizzards this morning and it was effortless.

I've had and tossed out some very expensive steak knives that were worthless.

I got the set of Victorinox from Amazon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you all so much.  I've put the ones that @andiesenjirecommended on my wishlist, as I think I'd prefer no serrations.  

I don't like serrated knives except for specific tasks and cutting meat is NOT one of them.  I have two serrated knives for bread, one with a 9 inch blade and fine teeth for tender crusts and fine crumb.  The other has a 12 inch blade with wide teeth for the very crusty artisan breads with more open, firmer crumb.

I have a special "tomato" knife that also has wide teeth for tomatoes and similar fruits.  

• Like 3

This is my tomato knife, also for slicing fruits very thin - kiwi fruit especially - with this I can slice them so they are translucent.  It's like a razor and I do have a ceramic rod sharpener for it - and the two extras I bought.

Made by Rada, very inexpensive and performs better than more expensive knives.

HPIM5035.thumb.jpg.4dcc97cd8aededc94469b3360b685233.jpg

• Like 8

I've occasionally grabbed a Victorinox utility knife for this and it works great—better than any actual steak knife I've used. Things marketed as steak knives are usually serrated and dull. They'd be great at cutting sheetrock for putting in electrical fixtures. But they just tear up meat. 

Usually we just use regular table knives. If they couldn't cut the steak then I'd be worried I'm serving tough meat. But to make things even easier on diners, something with a blade like the Forschner/Victorinox utility knives would be perfect. They're fairly cheap, have good steel, good geometry, and you keep them in shape with a nice aggressive edge just by hitting them with a butchers' steel. You'll have to do this regularly, because the steel isn't hard, and steak knives lead a life of abuse (cutting against ceramic plates, etc.) Are the Victorinox steak knives similar to the utility blades?

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

10 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I've occasionally grabbed a Victorinox utility knife for this and it works great—better than any actual steak knife I've used. Things marketed as steak knives are usually serrated and dull. They'd be great at cutting sheetrock for putting in electrical fixtures. But they just tear up meat. 

Usually we just use regular table knives. If they couldn't cut the steak then I'd be worried I'm serving tough meat. But to make things even easier on diners, something with a blade like the Forschner/Victorinox utility knives would be perfect. They're fairly cheap, have good steel, good geometry, and you keep them in shape with a nice aggressive edge just by hitting them with a butchers' steel. You'll have to do this regularly, because the steel isn't hard, and steak knives lead a life of abuse (cutting against ceramic plates, etc.) Are the Victorinox steak knives similar to the utility blades?

Yes.  Same construction, same metal.  The utility knife I had was 1/2 inch longer and had a straighter handle.  This new version has a handle shaped like the paring knives, more comfortable to hold.  I can't find the old utility knife, it is probably in my "less used knives" box.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

The knives are light, fit the hand well, and sharp as the devil.

Thanks for the recommendation, @andiesenji !

They are like razors and if one is used to moderately sharp knives, they can be a bit sneaky.

I removed the end of my left thumbnail and didn't even notice until I saw the sliver of nail on the cutting board.  I don't know how I missed cutting the thumb itself.  

I used one to trim acetate sheets after printing designs on them. The steak knife did a clearner job than my X-acto knife.

• Like 3