• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Frontera with Pati Jinich

liuzhou

I just watched the first episode of this series from PBS. I know nothing about Mexican or Tex-Mex food, so learned a lot. In places it was even quite moving.

Did get annoyed when some joker, who claimed to be able to tell which dish a cow was most suitable for just by looking at the live animal, announced that Angus beef is an English breed. No. It. Isnt. It's Scottish! Grrr!

Then the Mexican journalist Alfedo something who is a terrible driver. He is driving around waving both hands in the air more than he is holding the steering wheel!

But the food was fascinating.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I happened on the second episode last night. The little cafe under the freeway was hilarious. A dusting of truck exhaust with your meal, anyone? Bring ear plugs and be prepared for no meaningful conversation other than screaming for the hot sauce. But I guess there are loyal truck drivers out there who stop whenever they pass through Laredo. It did make me realize how outdated my idea of Laredo is. Any cowboy's white linen shroud wouldn't be white by the time the pall bearers reached the cemetery. 

I just watched episode two and loved it. Sadly, I undertand that's it. No more episodes, which is a pity as it ended on bit of a down note with that space cadet turning up! But I won't discuss the politics here.

I want to go eat with Pancho! Just hold the cØrn!

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto