• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Produce focus in Los Angeles outside of Farmers' Markets?

I’ve been living in LA for over a decade, end it just occurred to me today that I do not have a go-to brick and mortar store that carries a really wide variety of high-quality and unusual produce reliably.  I know places to get specialty produce for cooking specific cuisines (99 Ranch for most Asian cuisines, Koreatown market for Korean produce, Jon’s and local hispanic markets for less common Mexican herbs, SuperKing Market in Glendale has lots of Middle Eastern specialties, etc).  The Hollywood Farmers Market is excellent, but for various reasons I can’t always get there:  I am trying to decide if my back will tolerate a drive to visit family in the SF Bay Area for the weekend, which would keep me away from the market for another week….but could facilitate a trip to Monterey Market or the Berkeley Bowl.

Is there anything like Berkeley’s Monterey Market in Los Angeles, a hidden gem with the best versions of produce of every origin, that I have just missed?

• Like 1

I've lived here all my life and am not aware of a brick & mortar that fits your quest.  I'm in L.A. South Bay so Torrance FM and PV are mine. A lot of the same farmers. When I was more mobile I did the dance to various markets as you note and found it enjoyable. As a young cook in grad school Friday was my "no classes - go to Grand Central" downtown - but that has been hyper gentrified. I had a client with offices at the produce market downtown but I never explored if that was an option for retail purchase like the downtown flower mart.

• Like 1