• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lidl

BeeZee

I visited a fairly new Lidl near my office for the first time today, it blows Aldi out of the water, IMHO. More pleasant store ambiance, produce doesn't look on the verge of rotting, better layout.  Fairly wide variety of baked goods/breads. Bought a jar of tehina (Greek) $2.99 and German Forest Honey $3.29 since I was out of both. They had a sale on half pints of raspberries (from Mexico) for under $2.00. It was just a "once over" visit in the center aisles, I didn't get to the outer refrigerator and freezer cases to check them out. The dry goods that they put out are kind of interesting, clothing, tools (kitchen or not), couple of varieties of cutting boards, small electrics...I just hate that you have to sign up with email/password to view your local store's weekly ad, I am skipping that. I picked up "the dish", which is a "tasting guide" promo magazine they display by the exit, and they have some fun Advent calendars coming soon, "assorted chocolates", "fruit spread & honey", "cheese", and "premium chocolates".

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

14 hours ago, cdh said:

I like Lidl quite a bit.  I'm a regular buyer of their frozen scallops and chocolate bars. 

I did peruse the chocolates, but I'm trying to watch sugar consumption for the next month, so I had to resist, they looked tempting. Good to know that they (and the frozen seafood) are good quality. Do you happen to know where the frozen scallops come from?

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I did peruse the chocolates, but I'm trying to watch sugar consumption for the next month, so I had to resist, they looked tempting. Good to know that they (and the frozen seafood) are good quality. Do you happen to know where the frozen scallops come from?

Scallop origin is unknown... Packaging says "wild caught in the North Atlantic", which presents many potential sources.  The freeze job is quite impressive... each scallop is individual and not agglomerated into a brick of scallops, so buying a pound of scallops does not require plans to use a whole pound at once... Buying a pound of "dry" unfrozen Peruvian 10/20 scallops from Samuels would cost about the same as Lidl, quality is about the same, but I'd need to splash out on a liquid nitrogen fill up in order to freeze them as well as the Lidl ones come. 

As to chocolate, I'm a fan of the 70% sea salt and caramel bars, as well as the 56% sea salt bars.  They have a heap of single origin chocolate as well, but I've not gotten around to exploring it,  though at ~$2/bar it's on my agenda sometime.  

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I like both Lidl and Aldi (I think that the quality various Aldi's can be widely different).  I like the Lidl bakery very much and agree with you that the produce is much more dependable than the produce at Aldi.  I use the chocolate for cooking (I like the bars chopped for cookies better than "chips").  The cheese/deli section (pre-sliced and wrapped meats) is excellent, I think. The closer you get to the holidays, the more you'll see wonderful seasonal items.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had purchased Lidl's house brand version of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia and finally tried it today. Pretty good (sweet, of course), particularly at half the cost of the name brand.

• Like 1