• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Oxford Companion to Spirits & Cocktails

weinoo

Does this mean I can get rid of all my cocktail/spirits books?

drinks-book1-superJumbo.thumb.jpeg.b825432ee4bac76501801fc025d0ced2.jpeg

Well, maybe all except the ones signed by David!

Due out November 4th.  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/15/dining/drinks/the-oxford-companion-to-spirits-and-cocktails.html

David Wondrich and Noah Rothbaum have been studying bars, booze and drinks for a combined 40 years. So they thought they knew their chosen area of expertise when they began putting together “The Oxford Companion to Spirits and Cocktails” nearly a decade ago.

As it turns out, they did — and they didn’t.

“Naïvely, going into it I thought, ‘We’ll do this two, three years,’” said Mr. Rothbaum, 43, associate editor on the mammoth project, which runs nearly 900 pages and includes more than 1,150 entries on everything from Lao-Lao, a Laotian rice spirit, to the Long Island Iced Tea. “We think we know the history of X. And then you find all these new things and you realize, no.”

“It was an eye-opener every day,” said Mr. Wondrich, 60, editor in chief of the book, which will be released on Nov. 4.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Does this mean I can get rid of all my cocktail/spirits books?

It‘ll teach you 101 way to drink your sherry while holding up your pinky. For all other ethanol-infused activities you‘ll need to wait for @nathanm

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It‘ll teach you 101 way to drink your sherry while holding up your pinky. For all other ethanol-infused activities you‘ll need to wait for @nathanm

But I already have this...

IMG_5079.thumb.JPG.4525da04a9920861129a7a88574e0e07.JPG

• Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

But I already have this...

IMG_5079.thumb.JPG.4525da04a9920861129a7a88574e0e07.JPG

So no need to buy the Oxford companion then … Lucky you 😉

And in the tradition of my rural ancestors you owe me half the price of the book that I just saved you. I‘ll be over next year for sure for a business trip and will accept it in form of a shot at a decent place, like the Dead Rabbit 🤗

So no need to buy the Oxford companion then … Lucky you 😉

And in the tradition of my rural ancestors you owe me half the price of the book that I just saved you. I‘ll be over next year for sure for a business trip and will accept it in form of a shot at a decent place, like the Dead Rabbit 🤗

That's probably what a shot at the Dead Rabbit will cost next year!! But surely we can do better than "shots!"

• Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog